April Tournaments in Tunica?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Blackjack Rebel Too, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Our event calendar lists two non-weekly tournaments in Tunica that I might be interested in. Gold Strike has a 50K event scheduled April 6-8 and Fitzgerald's has a 25K event scheduled for April 7-9. Both are listed as unknown format. Does anyone have any speculation on what format might wind up being used based on these properties past preferences? I know the GS seems to like an accumulation/elimination hybrid but don't know anything about past tournaments at the Fitz.

Are there any hidden negatives about these events that might make them less attractive to play? Is anyone else considering going there? Are these events likely to fill up?
    Thanks in advance for any info?

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

The most recent Gold Strike event was elimination style, but it had a very low payout equity. They comped a couple of hundred players in, and never budged the prize pool even when the turnout was much higher than anticipated. It seems like the prize pool was lower than the one mentioned in the current event, so maybe they have partially fixed this issue.

If you call to register, I'd ask a lot of questions.

As for Fitzgerald's, I did not play that one last time, but PTaylor did. Perhaps he can fill in the details. It was definitely accumulation though, and I think it was a good deal overall.

Speaking of Tunica in April, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about a Sheraton tournament repeat. That can't be a good sign. Has anyone spoken to Adolph about their plans?

3. I just checked my mail and had an April marketing offer from Gold Strike. They have a Spring Fling slot tournament featured but no mention of the blackjack tournament. Y'all think there is any chance they might have canceled it without telling us?

4. noman

noman Top Member

Ken's avatar:

Is that an english/oriental royal marriage for pinochele? Worth 8,000?

5. KenSmith

I'll take $7000 for it, just for you noman.

6. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Fitz format

Check out the Big Stack listing from December for Fitzgeralds link and you will find the information I posted related to their tournament. I suspect it will be the same format this time. Last time they said the entry fee was $99 but it turned out to be free, but the rebuy was $99. Since it was accumulation with two best scores counting, I suspect most people rebought.

Last time at Goldstrike, when I called they said they were full, but when I showed up they let me register just before the last round was played.

I wish I could be there this weekend, but at this point I am still behind with tax returns, so it is iffy about being there. Good luck to anyone who gets to play.

Pat

7. WilyM

WilyM New Member

Adolph no longer at Sheraton

Talked to either a PB or host yesterday, he didn't know whether there would be a tournament or not, he advised me to call back in a week or two when he hoped to have more info.

8. KenSmith

I'm sorry to hear that Adolph isn't there any more, as this makes future tournaments much less likely. Maybe Adolph will resurface at another property and bring this tournament along.

9. deltaduke

deltaduke Active Member

Adolph's present location

Adolph has resurfaced 2 doors down at the Gold Strike. He is now director of table games at both the Gold Strike in Tunica and the soon to be reopened Beau Rivage in Biloxi. His first change was to do away with the 6 to 5 single deck, and change it back to 3 to 2. Hopefully he will bring the tournaments with him.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  10. deltaduke

deltaduke Active Member

Gold Strike planned tournament

Adolf is currently planning for an Ultimate Blackjack Tournament at the Gold Strike some time in August. Current talk is an open $125,000 tournament with $500.00 entry fee. Not set in stone, but should happen.

11. KenSmith

Great! Thanks for the update deltaduke.