Argh

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by KenSmith, Aug 31, 2006.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Freeroll with 677 players, pays 6 places. I finish 7th.

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

I'll trade you...

Ken I can't feel to bad for you after you caught 4 twos at the Grand a couple of weeks back...LOL, but I do know how you feel.

3. KenSmith

I guess I used up all my whining points with that win. Fair enough!

4. DachHolliday

DachHolliday New Member

Soooo Close

This is my first post. I have been reading you guys for a while now. I feel your pain. I was sooooo close yesterday in that tourny. I made a bad decision with a dealer Ace showing. I should have insured. Oh well it was good experience.

5. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Welcome

Dach, glad to have you posting. Your right about insurance, it is a totally different call in tournament play. I don't recall a recent thread on the subject, but maybe someone will share their thoughts on when insurance makes sense in tournaments. The time I usually take it is if I see no one else is and my taking it would give me a swing. Of course you also have to factor in the cost of losing the insurance. Sometimes you find in tournaments too that insurance is a herd mentality thing too. If you are first to act and take it, then others tend to also take it. That can work to your advantage too if you have a small bet and losing the insurance doesn't hurt you, but someone insuring a big bet and losing the insurance too would be devestating for them....but that is part of the mental game.....forcing mistakes...

6. KenSmith

That is an excellent idea!

7. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Even when I've made a big bet, I sometimes insure for less in the hope that people will see the chips go in and not notice the 'for less' part. I don't suppose that would work in a land-based tournament where it would be more obvious what I was up to. :)

8. Reachy

Reachy New Member

I saw you do that colin

The problem with Global is that sometimes the betting area becomes so crowded with chips you have no idea what other people have bet (especially when they have split and doubled a few times) and it's a real bug in the software. I remember you insuring once but I could tell how many chips you had put out. I insured for less as well but still over bet. Ho hum.

Cheers

Reachy

9. noman

noman Top Member

Insurance in Tourney's

Reachy: first play the mental game on the original bet, cause in live play that practice will help, since there's no total posted for everyone. Yes, on line, if someone insures or doubles for less it's tough to see, good for you. But, from a practical and philosophical stand point.....(I didn't necessarily get it from TX, like to think I thought about it all on my own, but he advocates it)....unless you really have a 90 percent count, insuring your bj and 20 make sense from a money management standpoint. Yeah 4-1, but your objectives are to either lose less than everyone else, or to establish a dominant lead. Or be close at the end. With a kind of loose 55 lose to 45 percent win in a shortened tournament game, it seems to me you want to win when you win. Insuring the BJ gives you the famous misnomer "even money", which doesn't put you behind. And insuring a 20 is a 99 percent chance of at least pushing against most opponents losses.