Bad to correlate opponent play ?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by PlayHunter, Nov 27, 2011.

1. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Lets say we are on the 2nd round out of 10 rounds and we are already the leader by a small amount. We got a stiff hand, dealer upcard is anything from 7 to Ace and our opponent incorreclty stand on his stiff hand.

Should we play basic strategy and hit our stiff hand, or should we correlate with our opponent play and just stand on our stiff hand in order to secure that we will not bust and there will not happen a switch on this current hand ?

PS: Does it matter who will be first to act on the last hand in this scenario or there is an index of when to correlate and when to not based on the dealt cards ?

2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Depends ...

This depends on many other factors. To name a few:
    • Your bankroll position relative to other players
    • Your seating position relative to other players
    • If it's a preliminary table, how many players advance?
    • If it's a final table, what's the difference in prize money between you and this player? Between you and other players?
    • The consequences of being swung on this hand
    Assuming your bet is already correlated, if it's a simple heads up situation (you vs him), then I would say go ahead and correlate. It will leave you one hand closer to winning and still ahead.

3. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Yes, simple head to head game, and bet already correlated. An example would be if I get a hard 12, dealer up card is 7 and my opponent stand on his 16.

4. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Another example would be if my opponent wrongly did surrender in his 16 against a dealer up card 7. Now I should play basic strategy and hit until I reach at least 17 or I should just corelate and surrender being 100% sure that I will keep my frail lead one more hand further in the game, knowing that if I bust my opponent will take the lead by his surrender ?

Also now it comes to my mind three more scenarios, close to the above examples:

- one, if my opponent correctly surrender his 16 against a dealer up card of 9 to Ace while I got any hard hand up to 17. Should I still correlate and surrender ?

- another scenario, if my opponent correctly stand on his 17 against a dealer upcard of 9 to Ace while I have a hard 16. Should I stand or surrender ?

*Still at this scenario, how this would be affected if dealer upcard would be 8 instead of 9 to Ace ?

- and a last scenario if my opponent correctly stand on his 17 against a dealer up card of 8 to Ace while I have a hard 12. Should I stand or hit ?

*and if here it is correct to hit, up to what hard should I hit it ?