Barona Valley Ranch

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by fgk42, Feb 2, 2007.

1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

I understand that the first UBT qualifier is “in the books”. It was done in January 2007.

They have several listed on the calendar. For each tourney the buy-in is 500 with a 50,000 first place guarantee along with an entry to the UBT Tournament of Champions ($10,000 entry fee).

I know that there was some disconcert about the number of wildcards – we’ve discussed that. My question is this: Of the people who participated in the January 2007 event would you recommend it?

Second Question: the next Barona event is just before the Palm UBT stop. It is my understanding that the winner of the Palms will receive an entry into the UBT Tournament of Champions. However the buy-in for Barona is 500 versus the 2700 for the Palms.

Am I wrong or is the EV/overlay for Barona better than the Palms?

I mean the last UBT stop – St Kitts, won by The Legend, did he win 50,000?

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Barona was a good opportunity, and I would recommend it.
    If the Palms overlaps though, I'll be there instead.

I expect player turnout in the first ever UBT main event inside the US to be much higher than the player counts in Aruba and St Kitts.

One more item. "The Legend" may be a good description of Ken Einiger, but username TheLegend here at BJT is David Page. Some recent posts have confused the two.

3. AceDonovan

AceDonovan Member

Barona

The big upside is that Barona is the one place that has got it right. They really get how to market the UBT and run the tournament. Max really goes out of his way, it seems, to make sure they're successful.

Downside, especially for you on the east coast, is that you could travel across the country for 5 minutes of play and that's it. There's nothing else going on during a Barona tourney but the tourney. No re-buys, just one shot and some wildcards.

The tour stops, as you know, usually have multiple tourneys and sit and gos along with the main event.

4. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Ace,

That's exactly why I didn't go to the January event. Without SNG's, rebuys or other tourney's I find it hard to justify.

I just wonder if the turnout for the next Barona events will be as good. :confused:

5. overlap?

The last time I checked the dates for the April Barona/Palms events, they conflicted slightly in schedule. Does anyone know if that is the case or not?