Betting increments

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Blackjackmama, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Blackjackmama

Blackjackmama Member

Hi. I am due to play in my second tournament next weekend at the Horseshoe in Cincinnati. The first time I was invited I had no idea what I was doing. I just played BS and got my ass kicked. This time I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. But I have a question. It has been awhile since the last tournament, but as I recall, we had to bet in increments of $100. If I'm right that makes taking the high and the low impossible in many cases. Have you ever heard of this?
    I called the host and requested she email me the tournament rules but she never did.

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

The betting increments shouldn't make much difference in strategy. You can always think of them in smaller denominations if you like.

Since you are all subject to the same increment, there should be no impact on your ability to take the high, low, or both if possible.

The one thing that large betting increments can cause is a reduction in the number of possible bet values, assuming the bankrolls are not sufficiently large compared to $100. I have played events where bets were $100 to $2000 in $100 increments. That's only 20 possible bet values.
    Odd, but not much of an impact on strategy.

Good luck!

3. Blackjackmama

Blackjackmama Member

Thanks. Ok, so let's say we have a situation where it's the last hand, $100-$500 bets, BJ pays 2-1, no surrender, H17, DAS

BR1 1500
    BR2 1200
    BR3 1000

If I am BR1 would my best bet here be $400? I am thinking that way I would have the high, be tied for the low if BR2 bet min and be able to double to cover a BJ or max double by BR2.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Off the top of my head, when you are on the bubble and the people behind you have the money and ability (if you have any doubt assume they do) to double on anything (or split and double), then you are probably better off just taking the low. I would guess you are better off just betting 200 with the 100 increment. Though unlikely to occur, the amount would give you a chance to get a split and get 600/800 on the table

5. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Since I have told you what is think is the correct thing to do, the last time I was in this circumstance I pushed out the max and the other 2 players went right with me. If this occurs your chance of advancement is very good since they have just given you high and low. If you piddle too long thinking about this at the table and make some what appears to be a calculated bet, your opponent will become more suspicious and one of them might take the low on you. You don't want that situation.

6. Blackjackmama

Blackjackmama Member

Lots of guessing involved in this game I am learning. Trying to out-think your opponents. I can only imagine it must be quite a rush to win your first tournament-to know that you outsmarted that many people. Not to mention the money. Thanks for the tips!

7. BughouseMaster

BughouseMaster Active Member

Only a fraction I would say is "out-smarting your opponent" in a Blackjack tournament.... dont forget that you MUST catch the cards, win the bet, opponents must lose theirs while you win your big bet or they lose their big bet, etc etc. Of course out-smarting your opponent is part of it too, but not as much as some people want to think!

KenSmith likes this.