betting questions

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by kc1bassoon, Feb 12, 2004.

1. kc1bassoon

kc1bassoon New Member

I'm a new guy to tournaments, and am signed up for a local tournament next week. $25 entry fee - so nothing too hard on the pocketbook if I mess up! I've got a couple quick questions ... first, if you get behind in the first 4-5 hands and the leader has more than double the chips that you do, assuming that there are still about 10 hands to go, when should you start chasing the leader? And do you go all in, even if you can't catch up?

And here's question 2 - if you are in the lead, and the other players start betting big, I read one of your articles that say to margin their bet (assuming you can bet after them of course). I'm not sure what that means... does that mean that you bet the same as they do?

I hope these questions aren't stupid! This is all new to me, but I'm really looking forward to learning about this new approach to a fabulous game!

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

First of all I learned a long time ago they're are no stupid questions, if your not sure about something ask questions, it is the best way to learn.

That is why I have some questions for you. From what you wrote I take it your playing only 15 hands, is this correct? How many players advance from each table?

When you answer these questions I can answer your first question. As far as your second question, what the article is referring to is if your in the lead and the other players bet enough to take the lead from you with a win, then you need to off set their bet by betting enough for you to keep the lead should you win. Example: going into the last hand you have $750 and the lead, player #2 in 2nd place and has $480, they bet $450, which with a win would give them $930. So to off set their play you need to bet at least $185 so that if you win you'll end up in the lead ($935). Should player #2 or both of you lose you would still win. You still can get beat by the last hand blackjack (happens more then you think).

This is the best I can explain for you without knowing the actual playing situations, number of players, amount of chips they each have, betting order, minimum and maximum bets, how many advance, do they offer surrender?

I wish you good luck in your tournament, sound like a weekly mini, where is it being held at?

The main goal for you or any players in tournament play is to advance until the final table.

3. kc1bassoon

kc1bassoon New Member

Thanks for your help, TXtourplayer. Here's what I know about this tournament...

$10 to $500 (max) - each player receives $500. In the first two qualifying rounds, the top 2 from each table and two wild card entrants, one from each round, will advance to semi's. In addition the next three top money winners from the remaining players will advance to semi's for a total of 21 players. In semi-final round 2 entrants from each of the three tables will advance to the finals along with 1 wild card from the semi's for a total of 7 players. Prizes for 1st through 4th place.

Each round is 21 hands. The tournament is in North Kansas City, and surrender isn't available at the regular tables, so my guess is that it's not available at the tournament either.

One more quick question - do players stack their chips on the table in uneven stacks, to make it harder for other players to know how much they have left?

4. BlackCloud

BlackCloud New Member

Betting

ALL in is not a BJ play. WHY- say you are down to 200 from a 500 initial stake.

So you bet 200(all of it) then you draw a pair of 8s vs a six-bad tickets.

I call it the PUNT- when I reach 50% or a little less split the total in half( if not even put
    the nickel aside. Bet half so you can split if-RIGHT. If you get a split hand that could DD you DD for less with the left-over nickel. Never give up-the leader can get greedy and get flushed. The all in bit came from holdem players screwing up a BJ game.

5. TXtourplayer

Okay, now that I know two advances I would start off small (min. $5 bets). Even if one of the players starts winning big from the start you still have another spot for advancing. Let the other players chase after the leader (you hope), if they lose you move up, if they win then you have to change to catch up mode.

When do you change? Depends on position, and number of hands left. Pay attention to the other players betting habits, most players I see betting big from the start in the weekly mini’s keep on betting big even with the lead. Most average players will start chasing as soon as they get behind. Let them, it is always a higher percentage play that the dealer will win then the players. Remember just because you play the so-called right way (highest percentage) doesn’t mean your going to win. I have lost to players on the last hand that have double downed on a hard 17 to beat me.

If you see them all betting small just stay with them, (it will probably come down to the last few hands). Most of the time within the first ten hands they’re will be someone that breaks. You want to stay within one maximum bet of the top two players so you have a chance at the end. Remember in tournaments with no cash value chips there is no stupid double downs on the last hand (that is if your beat, not if your in the lead) so if you are beat without doubling down go for it, what if you lose the hand, the chips are going back after that hand anyway and at least you have a chance to advance no matter how small.

Everything above is the way I would play most of the time, but the most important thing I can tell you is play the way your most comfortable, if you want to bet big go for it, if you can handle the patient game (my preference) play that way. Most players will tell you to play the patient game, but not me. I am a firm believer that if your not comfortable playing that way your not going to do as well. I have seen to many players that can’t handle the presser of playing small and or from behind, it drives them crazy. As a new player you will need to find which way your most comfortable playing and which gives you the most success.

Most tournaments come down to the final hand. Someone in last place can win the last hand while all the other players lose and go from last to first to win the table and advance to the next round. This is a great game for hindsight, shoulda, coulda, woulda. Should I place a small, medium, or large bet, do I surrender, do I hit or stand. All you can do is try to put yourself in a situation where you have a shot to advance to the next round.

Tournaments are a great way to have fun, make some money, and new friends. Remember even the best players don’t always win, so don’t get down if you don’t succeed at first, just keep trying.

Good luck and wishing you nothing but Aces & Faces.

6. kc1bassoon

kc1bassoon New Member

I went to the tournament tonight - lots of fun, and lots of stress!

A big thanks to both of you who helped me out by replying to my questions...

I ended up in the finals, and got 4th place, so I did get a few pennies. Yeah!! I'm definitely hooked on tournament playing.

The last hand was tough, with one guy clearly in the lead, and three others in a clump next... I was close, but was 5th. I played conservatively - I left enough unbet chips so I could get 2nd through 4th if we all lost. I had a hard 15 against the dealers 9, and just hit it, not wanting to lose a double down.. I wasn't very greedy, and simply wanted to win something. Well, I busted, so I guess I made the right call. Anyway, it was a blast! I've got a lot to learn, but I had a great time tonight.

I'm really lousy at remembering the other players's chip totals, and not that great at counting peoples stacks, either. Any suggestions from the resident experts?

Thanks for letting me toot my horn!

7. TXtourplayer

Anytime you make the finals you have the right to toot your own horn. Way to go for your first tournament.

8. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Congrats! Here's to a long successful tournament career!