Betting

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by fgk42, Jan 12, 2007.

1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Tourney Strategy EBJ rules 25000 max 500 min

Hand 8 – forced elimination.

1 28000
    2 34500
    3 18000
    4 21000
    5 31500
    6 30250

#2 is on the button and bets first 4,000

Part 1.
    Now what are the optimal bets for seat 3 & 4? Why?

Part 2.
    If seat 3 bets 18,000 (all in) what is the best bet for seat 4 who has 21,000? Why?

2. Reachy

Reachy New Member

All-in

Both players should bet it all. If they win they advance if anybody else loses or pushes and nobody is going to give them the low. There is little point holding back any chips since these would be next to useless if they lost and still advanced. They could utilise their secret bets and bet the minimum (you like?) hoping that they may get the low but ultimately their opponents would almost certainly be able to surrender back to the low if they needed to.

That goes for both questions.

Cheers

Reachy

3. sabrejack

sabrejack New Member

I'd go all in, for the same reasons Reachy stated.

(In fact I did--ha! Thanks for posting this fgk--I'll also be interested to hear feedback from any and all on this...)

I'd add one piece of info for posters to base their opinion on: There were no ploppies here. Although not superstars necessarily, these players are all smart enough to know that a secret bet would most likely either be a max bet or a min bet.

As to your second question: Assuming seat 3 bet max in open, maybe smarter bet by seat 4 is 2500, giving them success in the event of a loss OR push by both or by just seat 3. Technically, that would provide the best odds number for seat 4 based on the given fact set, and retain a reasonable (although lousy) BR for continuing on if not eliminated.

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

If I were seat 3, I'd go all in. Period.

If I were seat 4, I think I might bet 5,500 - and probably burn my "secret" so that I might use the secret action later in the hand, too. This would allow me to surrender down to 2750 if seat 3 got a crappy hand, and also to double past seats 1, 5, & 6 if any of them lost or pushed - or if they bet very small.

Feel free to rip me a new one for this logic! :p

5. sabrejack

sabrejack New Member

Leftnut--I like your play and do this type of thing myself sometimes as it brings more flexibility, but I honestly don't know which is the stronger play, probability-wise. Maybe someone can run numbers?

After all this is over, we'll tell everyone what happened to see how these options fare, right fgk?