BR1 with a virtual lock on BR3

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by justlsuteddy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. justlsuteddy

justlsuteddy Member

I'm only a few months into this, have read Wong's book, and appreciate all the help in this forum.

In a mini-tournament I played yesterday I was BR1 going into the final hand and last to bet.

BR3: 800
    BR2: 1600
    BR1: 1900

BR3 and BR2 went all in. I went all in but kept a five dollar chip giving me the high and the low. Sparing you the details, BR3 won the table when BR2 and me busted our hands. Upon reflection, I realized I had a virtual lock on BR3 as defined by Wong's book and it was really a two person game so I should have bet the low, 295.

Would this play have been best? (I would have won the table but that's a mute point)

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

You did the right thing

Because you're betting behind your all-in opponents, a bet of anything from $1305 to your bet of $1895 are all roughly the same, and that's your best choice.

You'll have first high, first low, and get to play your hand last. Then you should play your hand to have the same outcome as your opponents. That gives you a better shot than the $295 bet, and hoping that BR2 loses or pushes.