Calculator for math?:My last hand Sucks

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by daveyboy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. daveyboy

daveyboy New Member

im pretty good getting to last hand but then i lose toooo much.... is there a calculator out there that can help me make the right decisions.... if im leading by less than a max bet and betting first i bet one chip less than my lead and lose... if im up over 2 max bets i bet minimum and lost last night... i need help with my last hand bad.... thanks for any help..

dave

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

The two plays you described were handled by you just fine (given the limited details). What you are experiencing is "variance" - nothing more, nothing less. Just because you make the right play does not mean you will win all the time. The right play only means you will win more often than any other play - over time.

For example, in a live game you are playing perfect Basic Strategy but you lose 10 hands in a row. You are doing nothing wrong but MR. VARIANCE decided to visit your table and create a little havoc. Not to worry. At some time in the future you will win 8 or 10 in a row to compensate.

As far as a "calculator" - no such thing that I know of. Just play by the tournament guidelines you already memorized while learning from your mistakes and you'll do just fine.

3. daveyboy

daveyboy New Member

thanks so much for your reply,,, i really appreciate it.

ive been really studying and going over "Ken's" e book,, and just ordered "wongs" book... but still struggling when i watch others play to understand the final hand betting... ive been watching some good players play at Inet... not betting myself just watching the one on one games..and when they get to the final hand trying to predict what i would do if i was betting it.... but not doing good... i will see a difference of say one player down by $800... i say i would bet 795... but the leader never seems to play that "low"... its a 10 round 100 buck min. and a 10000 buck max betting game. and ive also noted that even the good players dont seem to follow what Ken says about his "2,4,5" rule...if they are down by 400 i rarely see anyone bet 800,,, it seems to be a more conservative method that the succesful people are playing... is a 10 round one on one $100 min and $1000 max. bet a different game with slightly different strategy? thanks again for any help.... most people seem to bet the max at the end ,, even if they are up by 3 or 4 hundred...

dave

4. daveyboy

daveyboy New Member

just to be clear the one on one game is a $1,000 max bet.

dave

5. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Most people have only the vaguest ideas how to play this game.

Once you get some experience you'll learn to identify those players and adjust your own betting strategies to exploit them.

6. noman

noman Top Member

And then again

Somewhat as toolman expressed. YOU can do all the correct "things," but that never guarantees a "win." House. Players. Luck/variance. Schtuff happens Site wouldn't let me express my exact sentiments.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. noman

noman Top Member

GD Monkey!

Come up with a couple more euphemisms so you can dominate the page with your responses.

8. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Euphemisms

Euphemism? I'm better at oxymorons... with emphasis on MORON! :joker: