Catch up bet ?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by PlayHunter, Jan 28, 2013.

1. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

BR2 last to act on hand 7 out of 10. Min/Max 100/500 no surrender, no double for less.

BR1 701 chips place a bet of 200. BR2 600 chips - What should bet 302, 202 or 151 or?

Version2: Exact same details, except the fact that BR2 is now on the next to last hand?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Similar to what I posted in another recent thread, it depends on what BR2's goal is for this hand. Since the title of the thread is "Catch Up Bet", then let's assume that BR2 wants to catch BR1 on this hand. BR2 can't take BR1 low, so his next best option is to take him high somehow.
    • A bet of 100 would require a full swing.
    • A bet of 102 takes BR1's push
    • A bet of 256 would require doubling/splitting to beat any BR1 win, blackjack or double.
    • A bet of 302 beats BR1's single bet win, but BR2 cannot double or split to beat his blackjack or double.
    • A bet of 402 beats BR1's winning blackjack, but BR2 cannot double or split to beat his double.
    So now it all depends on how badly BR2 wants to catch up.
    • Early in the round, he might be happy to wait for a full or 1/2 swing with a bet of 102
    • On hand 7 of 10 or 9 of 10, I would be in full catch up mode, but would probably not cover BR1's blackjack. I would probably bet 302 to have a slim chance of getting back into it should I lose.
    • On the final hand I would cover everything I could and bet the max (easy choice with no calculation).

PlayHunter likes this.