Chopping the pot....

Discussion in 'Tournament Blackjack Players Association' started by TXtourplayer, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

I came accross a situation during the last Blackjack Cruise, where a couple of players came up to me before the final table and told me they didn't want to chop the final table. Later the players told me they would do whatever the table ALL agreed on.

This was fine, to chop a final table it takes 100% to agree to do so. The normal way of asking the players to chop is simply asking the players if they want to of not at the table.

The problem I came across was while asking the finalist at the table, the first 3 players said chop, then the 4th said "lets play"!

That was the end of the chop. The problem was that now the other players were up set with player #4 for not chopping. As it ended up player #4 made more money by not chopping, but they upset some of the other finalist.

What I am now going to start doing on the final table is have the finalist write out what they want to do by secrect vote so anyone not wanting to chop will not be singled out ever again. Sad thing is I think with a secrert vote that 2 or even 3 of the players might have voted NOT to chop the pot!

2. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

"chop" the pot ???

I give up...what the heck does that mean. Please explain, especially if you're going to be offering this as an option in your future events.

3. TXtourplayer

Chopping the pot...

Anytime you make a final table at any TBJPA sanctioned event, the players have the option of chopping the pot.

Chopping means that all 6 players on the final table may choose to simply split the prize money evenly between each other. This assures that all the player make roughly what 3rd place would normally receive.

We still play out the final table for the point standings, but all the players already know what they will win in prize money.

Chopping the pot is something the players can ask to have done. On my spread sheet, I'll have the normal prize payouts and chop payouts as well so the players will know ahead of time what they are.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I reluctantly agreed to chop the first cruise final table. I won't do that again. I go to these events to play, not chop. If I'm at a final table, we'll be playing it.

Frankly, I think the option shouldn't even be available. The final table prize structure is quite reasonably apportioned. If I had looked closer at the details before the cruise event, I would have balked then. We all made slightly less than 3rd place was going to get.

5. TXtourplayer

I agree with Ken

I too like to play out an event when I make a final table, however I am not playing in these events and if the players are wanting and willing to chop, then I'll let them if all 6 players agree. After all it is their money not mine.

My point is I won't put any player on the HOT SEAT again by asking verbally what they want to do. I think secrect vote is the best way to handle this situation.

6. pokernut

pokernut New Member

In poker pot chopping is usually the norm, but not usually at the start of the final table unless everyone is pretty much chip equal, usually the chop takes place after the short stacks are gone, and sometimes the chip leader gets more than the rest of the table. And as for the HOT seat the player who does not want to chop gets a bulls eye on his forehead as everyone is trying to knock him out no anger just a feeling of get rid of this guy so the chop can take place . Oh and some tourneys are set up so the final table chops automatically such as the 2007 Scotty Nguyen Poker Challenge at Cherokee: Sun, Nov 11th to
    Sun, Nov 11th No Limit Hold'em Chop It
    No Rebuy/Add-ons $200

7. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Pot Chopping

Say by some miracle that as a complete live blackjack tournament novice I happen to win through to the final table. The other finalists who will probably be seasoned circuit players then ask me to split the money. Whether I want to or not, the peer pressure placed upon you not to agree would be a hard thing to handle for any new player.

I don’t think that you will ever get away from players wanting to chop the pot regardless of what rules are brought in. As a tournament promoter, Txtourplayer recognises the problems associated with this and is trying to address it so no player will be put under any pressure to conform.

However, I don’t think that a secret ballot would work anyway in protecting a player’s identity. The regular players will probably know each other well and the arrangements will have already been made over dinner and drinks before they arrive at the final table. So if any player has decided to opt out they will have already made themselves known.

Now comes another scenario. Two players feel strong enough that one of them will win against the other players that they both decide to make a private arrangement with each other and half their winnings .” Let’s vote against chopping the pot so we can win a half rather than a third”. So what would be the ruling on this?

Do any other competitive sports or pastimes split the prize money with each other or is it just unique to gaming?

Just my take on it.

Andy

8. fxsport

fxsport New Member

Chopping?

Why not just give EVERYONE back all their entry money (minus your fees) after the end of the final table and say we're just playing nice!

Dumb idea!

9. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Yeah, happens in big money "amateur" bowling all the time. A guy I used to know got down to the final 2 many years ago in a tournament. The promoters had guaranteed $250,000 for first, then didn't get the entries they anticipated. Result - 1st was $250K, second was $40K. The other guy wanted to chop, my friend did not - and won.

On another note, nobody mentioned chopping when I did that UBT final table in L.A. Don't know what I would have done, but in retrospect I'm quite happy that it never came up.

10. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

in extreme situations

chopping the pot makes sense - take the blackjack masters tournament in Montreal coming up in September - winner gets $50,000 - Second gets $5,000 and down from there - if chopped - everyone gets $10,000 - I would take a chop in this situation - but if the payout is pretty even - such as at Viejas - where the winner got $10,000 - and the last finisher got $2,000 - the $5,000 for the chop was roughly equal to third place money - why would you want to chop this?

11. TXtourplayer

Yes it does Andy...

As others have already pointed out, deals are made and unless they are making a point about it publicly, nothing can be done.

Now what most players normally offer one another is something around 10% of each other before the start of the event. But there are others who will aproach players other finalist and try to offer deals with them, but like I mentioned above, how can you prove it?