Cumulative Hybrid Tournaments

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Sentry, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Sentry

Sentry Member

What are good strategies for competing in cumulative style tournaments or Hybrids? In a tournament like Bally's Tunica, where the early rounds are cumulative, I have little idea on how to play. I can only imagine that you must play aggressively, and have the goal of beating not only your table, but you must also count on players having a lead on you at an unseen table. You must not let yourself get busted out, coming in third (or lower) may be enough to advance (I guess).

Also- Is this style of tournament a bad choice for a talented rookie?

Thanks,

Sentry

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Pot Luck?

Once you pay your $500 entry it's gone, you have to think about what you want, coming to play two rounds of 30 hands each for that money or are you going to try and win? Bet the chips they have no value, unless you’re in the top 35 they mean nothing so bet them.

What is the difference in playing all 30 hands in both rounds or losing out in three hands in both rounds, you still lose. Do you really feel better about losing if you get to play more hands? I don't, a loss is a loss and I feel bad after any loss. So if your playing to win why not gives your self the best chance to advance to the next round.

In any accumulative tournament you’re just hoping for a cold table. I have seen every player from one table win big before while everyone at the table next to them is getting killed. Skill level doesn't really come into play that much either, the only thing to remember is the chips have no value and holding them does you no good if your behind. I see more players lose by wanting to keep chips for the last few hands instead of betting them trying to win.

Accumulative is pot luck, you have to bet to win in this style of tournament an if you don't get the cards your gone in just a few hands or less. I saw a very good player betting $1,000 on the first hand at Bally's in Oct., he set his goal at low $5,000 for the cutoff point and once he reach $4,500 he coasted (with another round to still be played). The bad thing was the cutoff ended up at $5,650 and he missed the top 35.

On the other hand once you hit your goal, why keep betting? If $5,500 will advance you to the next round, why wound you want to keep betting? Being high with $7,500 is no better then being 35th with $5,500. You all start even in the next round, the only thing you can do is hurt yourself by risking your chips.

You need to set a goal to shoot for in an accumulative tournament like Bally's and bet for it, if you lose so be it, but if your hitting you can be the rabbit everyone is chasing.

I don't care for this type of tournament that much, but Bally's does such a wonderful job and adds $25,000 to the pot that it makes it worth it to play and everyone there is so nice it is a good tournament.