Dictionary of Tournament Blackjack

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Reachy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

I think that in respect of TBJs imminent rapid ascendancy into the general publics consciousness we should compile a Lexicon of terminology. As much as I find poker boring I do like the slang that is used for different hands or actions and recently reading Inside Edge magazine (UK-based gambling mag) realised that, like cockney rhyming slang, it is a constantly evolving language. My current favourite is "Anna Kornikova" for Ace King and I have always liked the rather un-PC "gay waiter" which corresponds to Queen Three (Queen with a Tray!). Can't remember what a "Montana Banana" is though.

I'm not that familiar with established BJ jargon/slang so I'd be gratefull if you could get me up to speed. Here's some for starters;

"Snapper" - "Natural" - Blackjack

"Stiff" - Hand that could bust if hit

"Paint" - Picture card

My own or other recently coined terms

"Wildcatting" - Betting wildly, usually large bets in order to establish a large lead or bust out.

"Jacking it" - When playing online hitting the wrong button or timing out and thus minimum betting, usually performed on a critical hand and often resulting in being locked out of a win or guaranteeing elimination.

"Monkey bet" - A bet placed by BR1 when acting first, usually on a critical hand, that is twice the difference between BR1 and BR2 minus a chip or two, that allows BR1 to retake the low by surrender if BR2 looks like losing or pushing (My own term - named after monkeysystem who first told me about it!)

"Two Fat Ladies"
    - 8,8 - Taken from the bingo term

"MIT double" - A double down performed purely to disguise a players hit card and therefore total hand value in order to make it difficult for other players to decide what action to take. Usually the DD is for small or minimum bet and the initial bet is large or just under maximum. (Just invented that one!)

"Wood" - Hand that could bust if hit (see "Stiff". Ehem!)

"Pony" - Surrender Trap - As in "They were a newbie and I wanted to see if I could pull a pony on them". Taken from the Cockney rhyming slang "Pony and Trap". Could also be "Horse". (NB. When using CRS the end and rhyming part of the slang is usually dropped)

"Brad" - "Eartha" - Hit - As in "I'm going to have to take a Brad on that 12". From the CRS - "Brad Pitt" or "Eartha Kitt"

"Brass" - Stand - As in "Should I take an Eartha or just Brass" - From the CRS "Brass Band".

"Barney" - Double - As in "I'm going to Barney that 11" - Again from the CRS "Barney Rubble"

That's my lot for now but please feel free to add your own or bring me up to speed with already existing slang.

Cheers

Reachy

2. Reachy

Reachy New Member

more

"Larry" - "Elvis" - Swing - As in "I need a Larry to avoid elimination". From "Larry King" or "[Elvis] The King"

"Marilyn" - Low - As in "I took the Marilyn but he won so I was eliminated" - From Marilyn Monroe

"Apple" - High - As in "he made a minimum bet so I was able to take the Apple" - From Apple Pie.

More, I'm sure to come!

Cheers

Reachy

3. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

"Ploopy or Ploopies" inexperienced BJ players who pretend to have an understanding of the game yet rarely exhibt proper BS skills