Do you dare?

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Barney Stone, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

2. RandyLad

RandyLad New Member

Sorry Barney I cant' get it going either. Cheers

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

That's an interesting discovery, Barney

Just to clarify, it is not a game so much as a toolkit. It is written in Perl, which is an interpreted language. i.e. you need to have Perl installed on your computer (Mac, PC, or whatever) before you can run anything.

CPAN, the site where it is hosted, is the official repository for all things Perl-related. It would seem that -
    • The code was developed for a 2005 'tournament' consisting of a contest between programmers, not players. (robo-blackjack :))
    • It was then moved into CPAN in the hope that it might be further developed.
    • This was in Feb 2005, and nothing seems to have happened since.
    • The code could also be used as a simulator to test out strategies etc.
    Looks like there's no such thing as an original idea, since I was tentatively starting work on something quite similar (though not in Perl).

I've downloaded it but won't get much of a chance to try it out in the immediate future. I'd be interested to know if the 2005 'tournament' took place or not.

The code is described as 'alpha' quality, which basically means that even if you have everything set up right you may find it just doesn't work. The idea is that people report and/or help fix problems at this early stage.

How did you find it?

[I've since found this from the author. It seems the word 'tournament' is a bit misleading. Looks like it's just an attempt to evaluate card-counting strategies etc., from someone who does not know a great deal about such things. I'd say there are better, more developed tools already available for this sort of thing.]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006