Double anything success rate

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by KenSmith, Jan 26, 2010.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Wong quotes the "must win two bets on the next hand" success rate at 33%. My own calculations several years ago yielded 29% instead, rising to 31% if a 3:2 blackjack payoff is enough to succeed.

Has anyone else calculated this percentage? I've been relying on my own hand-written note for years now, though I could probably find the software source I used around here if I looked.

On to a newer question that arose over at BJInfo: What if you are allowed to double only on 9,10, or 11?

If your first two cards aren't a pair or a 9,10, or 11, you're toast.

It would nice to have a concise reference of success rates for Double any (DA2), Dbl 9,10,11 (D9) and Double 10,11 only (D10).

To keep it simple, assume a player has only enough bankroll for two bets, eliminating any chance of three or more bet hands netting a two-bet win.

Any volunteers?

LeftNut likes this.
  2. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

I got 34% success rate if BJ pays 2-1 and the player can double on any two cards.

.................................BlueLight

LeftNut and KenSmith like this.
  3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Am I right in thinking there are variations of D9 and D10 in which soft hands can/can't be considered as the lower total for doubling purposes? (And even if S19 and S20 can be doubled, they still might not let you treat a BJ as S21.)

The reference might have to be a bit less concise than you would imagine, to handle all the permutations.

[Actually, for ultra-completeness, there's another rule variation to consider: In a tournament a while ago, after I had spent an inordinate amount of time staring pensively at a pair of tens, the dealer enquired "Are you thinking about splitting those?". When I said yes, she explained that that would not be possible, as only cards of the exact same rank could be split, and I had JQ or whatever. That was the house rule for regular BJ, and had been carried into the tournament.]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    LeftNut and KenSmith like this.
  4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I think that's the rule more often than not. Doubling would be restricted to hard 9,10,11.

The ten split variation is also one I've seen before, and it would indeed make a noticeable difference in the result.

5. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

It's been over a year since I calculated the success rate of winning a doubled bet to be 34%. This was after I had over a 1/2 max bet lead going into the last hand and I bet 1/2 max bet thinking that whatever the next player bet I would win the round unless I got swung. The next player doubled a max bet and we both won the hand but I couldn't survive the 1.5 max bet swing.

I don't remember if I considered eliminating the dealer of having a BJ for the 34% figure. I'll have to find my old notes.

.............................BlueLight