Double, double for less, or just hit?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by masonuc, Apr 27, 2009.

1. masonuc

masonuc New Member

Heads up tournament last weekend, 17th hand of out 20. (Early round of a $300k tournament). I am betting first on last hand and my opponent is fairly competent, so I need to get a lead before hand 20. However I just ran into some bad luck and now sitting with 10500 chips vs. my opponent has 14000. I bet the amount of his lead, 3500, to close the gap. He bets minimum (500). I get dealt 11 vs. a 7. He has a 13. I immediately go to double but here's my concern:

1) Doubling substantially weakens the likelihood of winning the hand -- since the Dealer has a 7 I very much want to hit hands of 12-16 to improve my odds

2) I've alread bet the gap, and have good potential for a swing here also because of the stronger hand

3) If I lose one bet, I am very much in it -- can still bet it all on next hand to match his total, but if I lose a double I am pretty much dead

In any event, I decide to double -- 11 vs. a 7 is a such a strong double hand and a winning double bet puts me in a very nice position. Of course, I get a 2 and lose the hand.

Thoughts? Should I have just hit (ex ante, of course, ignore the actual result with 20-20 hindsight)?

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

The first thing I'd do is thank my opponent for opening the door so nicely. :p

I'm assuming a 500 increment rule here (100 increments makes it even more interesting). I'd DD for 1500. A full DD doesn't gain that much on the high side, and a loss leaves me with enough to make a run back at him in the last 3 hands. 1500 leaves me with the high even if we both win our doubles.

In such a situation, you're hoping for a chance to blow past your opponent when he's got no recourse.
    This looks like the golden opportunity.

3. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Wow - I'm quite surprised that no one else has taken a whack at this one. :confused:

4. FMike756

FMike756 New Member

hit-double

This is an interesting situation that presents itself quite frequently in tournament play, double and lose and you are hanging by a thread, hit and lose, not as bad but is still a substantial amount to make-up with only three hands remaining.

I can't tell if you must bet 1st on this hand (if so you should have last bet on hand 20) or after your opponent. If betting 1st, I would double for the full amount, hoping to take a 3500-4000 lead. Losing 3500 places you 7000 behind and your bankroll for hand 18 is only 7000. It becomes a must win bet on either hand.

If I bet after my opponent, I would hit only if he busts (giving me a 500 lead if I win) otherwise I would double for 1500 and hope to swing on a win-win scenario.

Better heads and thorough players would probably play this differently, but I wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

good luck