Double Exposure Pitch Tournament

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Monkeysystem, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Anyone ever played in a double exposure pitch tournament? Any strategy tips?

It seems to me that it would be somewhat like poker in the last hand. Opponents' tells would play a bigger factor in your decisions than in ordinary blackjack tournaments. No one can see their opponents' hands, yet everyone knows if their own hand is a winner or a loser.

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Like Stardust

The Stardust deals double deck down (but not double exposure) and yes you can bluff in this style of BJ tournament.

One very important thing to remember in a tournament game dealt down is not to flash your cards. Having your cards down can be a big advantage so don't give away your hand. The cards are out and they are not going to change, just wait until it is your turn to check them.

Example: few years back at the Stardust a friend of mine was BR2 (only one advanced) on the last hand of the semifinals. He was to BR1's left. he caught a BJ on the last hand which would give him the win, but he flashed his cards in the excitement and BR1 saw them.

BR1 had 9-9 vs dealers 10, but he knew he was beat unless he split, so he did. The dealer ended up busting and my friend ended up just short in BR2.

One other bit of advice: I don't check my hand until it is my turn, but make sure the dealer knows this. The reason is if the dealer see's you pull your hands towards you (the motion when lifting to check your cards) they may think your asking for a hit.

This has happened to me (and others) so make sure they know not to do anything until you you have checked you cards. The exposed card was burned because I did tell the dealer first and they even told the pit boss it was their mistake.

This is just another reason to take care of your dealers and keep them on your side.

Little tournament hint: I tip (most) dealers $5 for every round I advance in (live or no cash value chips) besides what I give them if I make the finals. I like the dealer on my side and having calls like above go with me instead of against me and for as little as $5 tips it is worth it.

I also bring bags of candy and flowers (Wal-mart 2 dozen roses for $20) for the dealers (cheaper then giving them $5 each) and they love it. I treat the dealers and tournament staff the same way I do people that work for me, take care of them and they will take care of you.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. Sandy Paws

Sandy Paws Member

Pitch Tournaments on TV

I think the GSN, and the WSOB, could take a cue from the poker coverage on television. Part of the viewer interest, and increase in poker players, is because they can see the hole cards. By doing something similar on televised blackjack, they could dramatically increase viewer interest. As you said, it also can cause changes in tournament strategy.

4. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Rules finalized

I updated the Event Calendar to reflect the rules for the double exposure tournament Ho-Chunk is hosting in May. It's ordinary double exposure: BJ's pay 1:1 including pushes. All other pushes go to the dealer. You may only DD on hard 9, 10, and 11.

5. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Hey Tex

Are you saying the dealer will lie and tell the PC it is your fault if you don't tip? Here is a little joke about tipping:
    A blackjack dealer and a player with a thirteen count in his hand were arguing about whether or not it was appropriate to tip the dealer.

The player said, "When I get bad cards, it's not the dealer's fault. Accordingly, when I get good cards, the dealer obviously had nothing to do with it so, why should I tip him?"

The dealer said, "When you eat out do you tip the waiter?"

"Yes."

"Well then, he serves you food, I'm serving you cards so you should tip me."

"Okay, but remember the waiter gives me what I ask for. So I'll take an eight."