double or split 4 4?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by jarse, Nov 27, 2005.

1. jarse

jarse New Member

Hi,

This is the first time I write here. I have a question I´ve been thinking.

It´s the last round and there is only you and player A left. Max bet is 500. You have 1000 points, A has 1600. A is on the button and bets 300. You bet 500. Player A gets 20 and stands. You get 4 and 4 (8). The dealer´s upcard is 4.

You have to double or split. Which one is better? Does it matter much which upcard dealer has?

Sincerely,

Jari "Jarse" from Finland

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Double those 4's

According to Wong, if you need to win a double bet, double 4's, do not split.

His rule goes as follows
    If you must win a double bet - only split the following pairs and stand on any stiff otherwise double on anything:
    A) Always split A's, 2's,3's,8's,9's,10's
    B) Split 6's,7's against dealer's 2 through 6
    C) Split 7's against dealer's 10​

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

3. Joep

Joep Active Member

Dealer Up Card Is No Factor

Actually in Tournament play the dealers up card will have no meaning as to your double down or split.If you need to get more money on the table to even have a chance to win you must do whatever you can no matter what the dealers up card is.Player A should have split his 20 to take away the DD from you.His 300 bet only gets him to 1900 and you can get to 2000 with your play.If he was a savvy tournament player his bet should have been 405 to take away you getting all your money in action

4. Prospect

Prospect Member

Splitting

Normally, the general rule would apply. But, splitting is ever-so slightly better here by a hair.

By doubling, you can win only by a dealer bust.

By splitting, you get the above plus one other rare occurence. If you can safely hit to 21, then you can also win with a dealer 20.

5. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

I still prefer doubling

I have to disagree on an analysis here.

If you double the 4's and hit to an 18 or 19, you win if the dealer has less.

You would have to safely hit (SAFELY HIT means getting to 10 or 11 then getting that one card of a 10 or A to get to 21) to 21 on BOTH hands while the dealer hits to 20 (an incredibly rare occurrance given that you are starting with a 4 and the dealer is starting with a 4) in order for this win to occur:
    Winning 1 hand and losing the other results in a net push.​
    Winning 1 hand and pushing on the other only gives a net single win and therefore a table loss. Player A would push with a dealer 20 and end up with 1600. You win 500 and end up with 1500.​

Give this situation, I would double, not split, the 4's.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  6. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Need the luck

The one hand I will always remember with a pair of 4's involved on the last hand wasn't even mine nor was I even playing at the final table.

The hand belong to Kenny Einiger on the last hand of the first LV Hilton's Million Dollar Tournament.

If you don't remember Kenny was BR3 chasing on the last hand. He DD on his 4's vs dealers 5 for the Million Dollar win.

Kenny caught a picture for 18 and then the dealer flipped a 4 and hit a jack for 19.

That was a killer! I felt so bad for Kenny.

Just goes to show you without luck anything can happen in this crazy game.

7. Prospect

Prospect Member

Yes, I stand corrected.