Doubling for less

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Reachy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

I'm never really sure whether to put my posts here or in the newbie forum.

Just curious about DD for less. When would you do it? I guess when you want to retain the low. Any other situations?

Cheers in advance

Reachy

2. Joep

Joep Active Member

2 different games

DD for less is a valuable tool in tournaments but should never be implemented in live play. In tournaments this play comes into use when you can DD for less to regain the high but still not give up the low if all hands lose.

In live basic strategy play all DD are consider to be a full DD so this is where the DD becomes a winning play over many hands played .Once you start DD for less you lose that edge.Many DD are only worth a small amount so if you don't utilize it to the full value you are giving up a lot in the long run.

If you dont want to DD for the full amount because that will just be to much money in the circle that you are playing way over your head.Any serious player will never DD for less in a live game.

Joep

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  3. Joep

Joep Active Member

An Example

Here is a good example you are BR 1 betting and acting after BR 2 .On the last hand BR2 bets 500 and holds back 200 you bet 450 and have 450 held behind. Now Br 2 DD for his remaining 200 . If he wins his hand he will go to 1400 .You now can DD for less 55 dollars to beat him on the high by 5 .1405 to 1400. If you were to just take the full DD at 450 and you both lost you would be in a tie instead of winning right there.I hope this helps in your understanding of the DD for less

Im not suggesting that as BR 1 you would bet 450 here and now have to DD for the high .It was just a way of showing if you did bet 450 how you could recover the high back. The right bet here would be 500 to assure a tie if BR 2 got all his money into action and won his hand and you were to win your hand. Now when Br 2 did DD and caught a stiff and you had a non breaking hand you can DD for less to lock him out of the high and low .

Joep

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Doubling for less is very useful to "take a shot" at the lead.

Let's say there are two or three hands left, and you trail the leader by $20. You're on the button, and bet $50. The leader bets $35, to take a $5 high. When the cards come out, you have 15 vs a dealer Ten.

Doubling for $10 here has obvious value, even though it's probably a losing play. The key is that losing $60 is not much worse than losing $50. If you happen to catch a card, you have the high back.

Once you're looking for opportunities to double for less, you'll find them quite often.

5. noman

noman Top Member

Purdy..Purdy..Purdy!

Keep goin for it. Look at the info you've reaped. None better.

6. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Not sure this is the proper place for this and yet I don't want to "clutter things up" with a new thread.

Doubling for less - good example Joep it's something to keep in mind.

Ken, in your example I understand just "taking a shot" but with 15 vs. dealer 10 rather than DLF wouldn't surrender be more in order? This confused me (I'm probably reading too much into it)

I've seen on global where you CAN DFL but I haven't seen any players do it yet

Can't DFL on BJ21

With regard to a DFL opportunity - most likey only use in less than optimal situations since in an optimal case you would double for the full amount. So by inference I take it that DFL is rarely used and most likely just in the last few rounds?

7. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

In my example, no, surrender isn't an option. If you surrender your $50, he'll surrender his $35 and you're locked out. And, surrender is still unavailable in most tournaments, so I didn't even intend it to be a consideration in this example.

The decision whether to double for less or double in full is not always dictated just by whether you have a "good" double or not. Sometimes you'll even find it better to double for less on 11v6, if the bankroll situations mean that the unbet chips you save would have value. There are no hard and fast rules. You really have to look at each situation independently.