Free Hits & Playing for the Swing

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by slim100_us, Aug 31, 2004.

1. slim100_us

slim100_us New Member

I am trying to get it clear in my mind what conditions need to exist when you can take a free hit or when you should play for the swing. These are my thoughts.

1. You have the opportunity to take a free hit when you have the Low. When you have the low the dealer has to beat your oppononts, so at this time it does not matter if you win or lose as long as your oppononts lose, which gives you the opportunity to take a free hit when your oppononts have approximatly the same value as you......

2. You have the opportunity to play for the swing when you have to Win and your oppononts have to lose. If you have to beat your opponont then you need to go two numbers over what he shows. An example might be he has a 18 and I have a 17, and the dealer shows a 9. I would take a hit and try to get to 20 or 21.......

3. I would think that I would play this way only on the final hand?

4. If I have the high or If I have the High and the Low I would just use basic strategy to play out my hand????

Any input would be appreciated. I would like to no if I am somewhat on the right track :).

Thanks,

Slim

2. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Terminology

Slim, you are close to be on the right track.

I think that the main problem for many players in regards to “free hit†and especially to “swings†has to do with the nomenclature.
    With two players and just three basic outcomes (win, push, loss) there are nine possible situations: w/w, w/p, w/l, p/w, p/p, p/l, l/w, l/p, l/l.
    For a particular player only one configuration (win/loss) qualifies as a “full swingâ€.
    Some terms are more inclusive than other. For example “any gain†includes “full swingâ€, win/push, and push/loss, however, some people would call all three cases a swing.
    If you add to the mix more than two players, doubled and tripled bets and surrender – it really gets confusing.

Tirle_bj is using a convenient way to specify the situations; full swing he calls “12% swingâ€, full swing and win/push is “14% swing†and “any gain†is “19% swingâ€.
    This would be fine for basic strategy player. However, when you are an expert player and need to swing your opponent you depart from basic strategy plays and the numbers don’t apply anymore. The numbers would be also different if you know how to protect yourself from swing. And if you have two that know how to tango it is altogether something else.

I will get more specific later tonight.

S. Yama

3. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

I am afraid that I will disappoint you by not being able to simplify or come up with a shortcut or a formula to recognize and play “swings†and “free hit†situations.
    They are the most complicated situations to deconstruct.
    Actually, it is easier to …know it when you see it.

In some circles of tournament players there is a custom to use name “free hit†only when you have the “lowâ€. But it could be applied to any situation where hitting that is not sanctioned by the basic strategy improves your tournament chances. Free hit –it doesn’t cost you anything - is not necessary better than “opportunity hittingâ€. Opportunity hitting may be costly sometimes, but on average you gain more by utilizing it.

Often times these situations are not apparent when you are going into the hand or even they are non-existing. You may find yourself in them because one, two, or more players bust out in front of you or they split to two or three mediocre hands.

To see elements of the process we need to simplify it to just two players and skip blackjacks, doubles and splits. Also let’s not dwell too much into other aspects, namely: betting order (if cards are dealt face-up, betting in front of your opponent is often better than betting after him cards face-down), opponent skill level, dealer upcard, and many more. They are important, but to a lesser degree.
    The most important is the size of both players bet in relation to the gap between their bankrolls.

If you were really into seeing and understanding the process you would need to write down all configurations and perhaps have examples using numbers.

Let’s start with you betting first and trailing your opponent. Let’s call your bet -A, your opponent bet –B, and the difference between the bankrolls –G (Gap). There will be seventeen configurations, six where you bet less than the gap, and your opponent bets:
    1) Less than the gap and A+B<G. In this case you are lock-out.
    2) Exactly the difference between your bet and the gap, A+B=G. In this case if you win and he loses you Tie.
    3) You both bet less than the gap, but A+B>G. If you win and he loses (full swing) you advance.
    4) Exactly the gap, B=G. If you push and he loses you Tie.
    5) Exactly the gap plus your bet, B=G+A. If you lose and he loses you Tie.
    6) More than the gap and your bet together, B>A+G. If he loses you advance no matter what happens to your hand.
    You can continue with five more situations where you bet exactly the gap and six more where you bet more than the gap.
    This will indicate all situations where you have to depart from playing basic strategy. It tells you what kind of (not basic strategy) play is required.
    In configuration 2) and 3) you need to bet to at least 18 and at least two points more than your opponent shows.
    In configuration 4) and 5) you need to bet to at least 17 and at least one point more than your opponent shows.
    Some configurations require similar type of play.
    The main types of play are “must winâ€, “matchâ€, “better by 1â€, and “better by2â€.
    There are also special plays when you are leading. And sometimes (not that often) even within the type of play, additional circumstance, like dealer up-card, may dictate a specific play.

Ain’t it a b...Pandora’s box?

Slim, going back to your original questions.
    Regarding p.2 -the dealer up-card is insignificant. You have to hit to at least 20.
    Regarding p. 3 – departure from bs usually happens toward the end of a round, most often on the last hand. However, you may get into a desperate situation that requires a radical play anytime; same goes for an opportunity plays.

Regards,
    S. Yama