Global Player semifinal hand

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by KenSmith, May 24, 2006.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Here's the final I was involved in during Global Player's Wednesday tournament today.

One advances to the final. The dealer has a 3 showing. In button order:
    Code:
    Tony408.....$3900.00.....$500......K 4 Dbl 2   ($1000 working)
    Blackwood...$3427.50.....$500......BJ   (stood, wins $750)
    Sidekick....$2567.50.....$500......6 J / 6 4 Dbl J  ($1500 working)
    Ken21.......$2215.00.....$500......T 4 / T 4 / T T / T 9  ($2000 working)
    The dealer made 3 T 8 for 21, and Blackwood advanced. A bust would have given the victory to Tony408.

During the play of the hand, I saw Tony's double stiff, and I worried less about him as a result. By the time it got to me, I had figured Blackwood's blackjack and Sidekick's result, and I totally forgot that Tony408 still had the high if the dealer busted. As a result, I played the hand in a way that locked me out of contention.

There are some interesting questions about how I should have played though, namely whether I should hit or double my initial hard 14.

It's important to know that Global deals a second card to each split immediately after you split. So, I've split TT, and I see T4/TT. How do I play the hard 14? Double, or hit to make a hand and hope I get another ten after I split hand two?

With all the other hands we've been working through, I'm not sure I'm interested enough to pursue this one. But, I posted it anyway. :)

2. Joep2

Joep2 Banned User

The Real problem

The real problem I see with this hand was that you were behind by more than 3 max bets before the hand started :mad:

Joep2

3. KenSmith

Just to clarify... If I do not double the 14, I'm still guaranteed to be able to get all 4 bets I need down. I'll split hand two, and plan on resplitting if I get another ten. If no ten comes, I'll have to pick one of the two hands to double on.

When I look at it that way, I think just hitting hand one to a total of 18 or better is the best play. Then, I have to make 2 or 3 more hands of 18 or better, and they all must beat the dealer. Yikes, not much of a shot.

4. KenSmith

I'd have to agree with that one Joe! I kept getting swung by the whole table. I'd fight back into contention and then wham! back to the starting blocks. I think I had three large bet swings against me in the last 6 or 7 hands.

Of course, the real thing that I find problematic is that I played the last hand in a way that gave me 0% chance of advancing, when there was a choice that would have given me a very small but non-zero chance instead.

5. Joep2

Joep2 Banned User

You were due

Ken even the best have a brief moment they would like to have back.Your one mis-step is no big thing.Next tournament please :laugh:

Joep2

6. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

hit fourteen and stand on twenty

oops!
    I deleted my message, missed Keving going to over 4K.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  7. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Looking at the cards, Ken, if you hit the first fouteen than you would end up with four hands 18, 20, 19, and 18. The dealer having a 3 and a Ten and the third card we will never know.
    Dealer's total seventeen would advance you, that would be something.

S. Y.