Gold Strike - Tunica May 6-7, 2007

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by toolman1, Apr 14, 2007.

1. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

The Gold Strike - Tunica is hosting another "$50,000 Double Down Blackjack Tournament" on May 6-7, 2007. Don't know the format but based on the name it probably will be the same format as their Feb., 2007 tournament. I posted the details on the CALENDER. Prize money paid half cash and half promo chips so the expected prize money is about 3/4 of what they advertise.

Prizes seem to be guaranteed since their literature does not say "based on xxx players". Also there is no mention of the word "invitational".

Last Feb. they had about 180 players which was short of what they wanted. Considering that many players did not like their hybrid format, I'm guessing this tournament will also have a less than stellar turnout.

I have a busy tournament schedule before this event so I'm waiting to see how my "side action funds" hold up before I commit to this tournament.

Anyone going?

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

This tournament is probably invitational. However, I just receive a recorded message offering me free entry. Them calling so close to the tournament date indicates to me they have openings that they are looking to fill. If you have any kind of record of play, I think the chances of getting in are fairly good. If you have no record of play, they may relax the "invitation" part to fill empty spaces. If interested call 1-877-245-8477.

I heard rumors they are changing their format to elimination from accumulation. Just a rumor, don't know anything for sure.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. pokernut

pokernut New Member

I know of several locals including myself with no record of play other than poker and we registered without any problem. I think are just trying to fill up, I don't know whyn the turn out is so low as it a great EV tourney.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  4. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Their last tournament was a hybrid that most players did not like. I had no problem with that but others did. I suspect some are staying away for fear that it will be the same. But as I mentioned in my last post, I heard rumors they are changing their format to elimination from accumulation. Just a rumor, don't know anything for sure.

As for EV:
    200 players @ $50 = $10,000 (and the $50 includes 1 night hotel room)
    Prize pool is advertised as $50,000 although when one considers the promo chips involved the value is about $37,500 - still a great EV.
    Even one who has never played a tournament before should come. Get you feet wet for a low price and you might win - beginners luck happens in tournaments more often than one may believe.

Last edited: May 4, 2007