Golden nugget

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by maxwell, Jul 31, 2008.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member

Have any of you guys played the golden nugget tournament and is anybody playing in the september tournament and is it a good tournament?:d:d
    PRETTY EXPENSIVE TOURNAMENT FOR 50 K WITH A 500 BUY IN AND A 500 REBUY :eek::eek:

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

A little clarification. It's $100,000 prize pool with first paying $50,000.

3. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Does seem High?

Toolman,

We were going to be in Sin City during this time and was going to look into playing this tourney. $500 does seem high even for 50K 1st place especially if it is their typical format of only one advancing from each table.

I will call to confirm this entry fee in a week as we get closer to the tourney date.

Thanks,
    Dan

4. deltaduke

deltaduke Active Member

Their $50,000 tournaments only advance 1 person. However normally their $100,000 and higher tournaments advance 2 and sometimes even 3 according to number of participants. They are usually $500 buyins as are most tournaments of this magnitude.

5. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

I'm not trying to push this tournament - I'm not even going. Given that, I tend to agree that the $500 entry fee may be on the high side. There are 2 perks with the entry free: reduced room rates and 2 continental breakfasts. Ya, I know it's not that great but it is something.

I suppose the important question is:
    How many players are expected for this tournament?​

If the attendance is say 225 or less and if the prize pool is guaranteed, then the $500 entry fee is not so bad. Maybe a little negative EV but any decent player should be able to overcome that - over time.

6. pasman21

pasman21 Member

Start time on Saturday

Does anyone know what time the Golden Nugget tournament starts on Saturday? I'm flying in that morning at 11 am and plan on staying all day before heading to California for a convention. I'm planning on calling them but thought I'd start here first.

From looking at the event calendar, my other option is Arizona Charlie's that afternoon (4 pm). Feedback on this place?

I'll be back in Vegas, Friday the 12th and leaving Saturday the 13th at 5 pm.
    The Rio has an invitational that weekend but I probably don't qualify.
    Has anyone played the Cannery's Friday night tournament?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

7. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

At both the NUGGET and RIO, the tournaments extend into Sunday. So if you can't be there on Saturday (early Saturday for late registration) and Sunday there is no sense in going. The events that can be concluded in one day are going to be weeklies with smaller prize pools.

8. BJTguy

BJTguy New Member

Can someone post more info on Rio's BJT?

Thanks

9. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Although booked in the Rio Sept. 12-14 BJ tournament through my host I haven't received a mailed invitation with details but presume it is a normal Rio BJ tournament as follows;

Entry; Invitational
    Format; Elimination
    Prize Fund; $40,000 not quaranteed

A Rio BJ tournament invitation normally includes free entry, 3 nights comped room, tournament gift and limited food vouchers.

10. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Nugget format?

Does anyone know about the format that will be used for this particular event?
    "One advance" doesn't interest me, seems to be more of a luckbox crapshoot than two (or more).

11. dreamer

dreamer New Member

More Clarification...

Blackjack Friends:

The upcoming Golden Nugget tourney is a combined $80,000 "Poker" and "Blackjack" Event, 2 separate tournaments for your $500 Entry Fee. The Poker Tournament pays $20,000 for 1st Place, and then the Blackjack Tournament also pays $20,000 for 1st Place. All rebuys are $500. They usually have a ton of Wild Cards, but it is "one player" advancing throughout the Tournament...

Not really a good buy for your money, unless of course you can get an Invitation at no cost to yourself, based on your past play with them.

Skipper

12. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

OUCH. Thanks for the clarification, Skipper.

Well, I wish the best of luck to all of our BJT friends who will be taking their shot at this one! :D

13. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Clarification

Skip's post is referencing the Golden Nugget's August dual tournament, Maxwell's original post was about the Golden Nugget's September tournament which is a $100,000 blackjack only event.

14. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Hmmmmmmm - thanks, Rookie789. Perhaps the GN September event is still a possibility.
    Anyone know the format details for that one? I have poked around and was unable to find them.

15. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Thanks...

Thanks Rookie 789. My bust...

Skipper

16. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I thinks its odd GN LV and Laughlin are running tournaments the same days. This will likely cost Laughlin a few players.

17. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

No worries, Skipper. You had the best of intentions to help with answering the question, and that's what counts! :D

18. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

deltaduke posted some details in this thread (post #4). Here is the link to that post:

Also, take a look at some on their past tournaments in the Calendar. That'll give you an idea about playing times and other tidbits.

19. scottdamon23

scottdamon23 New Member

GN tourney August 7-9

I talked to a marketing person at GN this evening; she said for this weekend's BJ side of the combo event, 2 people advance from each table for the first round, and possibly the 2nd; she also said re-buyins were $250. I'm going to dbl-check everything tomorrow when I sign up.

Scott

20. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Thanks for the update, Scott! Could you possibly see what you could find out about next month's event and post it?

GOOD LUCK to you! :D