Good BJ Books????

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by toggaahh, Mar 14, 2006.

1. toggaahh

toggaahh New Member

It's still a little hard for me to say bj, but I'll get over it. I bought a book "Winning Blackjack for the Serious Player". I really like it so far. Anyone else read it or have an opinion???

Thanks!

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

New just out

Try "Blackjack Blueprint" by Rick "Night Train" Blaine.
    Rick is a hell of a player and one of the good guys of blackjack.

3. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Books

Toggaahh,

I've never heard of the author before, Edwin Silberstang and have not read the book so I can't really comment on it's content.

I would just say that you should avoid books that talk about bet progressions or signs of a dealer "dumping" his/her tray. Stick with books that give solid proven advice.

I just finished "The Big Book of Blackjack" by Arnold Snyder. It was a very good book, especially if you have an interest in the history of the game. It contains stuff that I have not found in other books, and I have read alot of them (more than 25).

Arnold is a Blackjack Hall of Fame member and written a lot on the subject. Another solid book of his is "Blackbelt in Blackjack", he just came out with a 3rd edition last year.

Other good books in no particular order (some advanced some beginners):
    -The World's Greatest Blackjack Book by Lance Humble
    -Professional Blackjack by Stanford Wong
    -Theory of Blackjack by the late great Peter Griffin (advanced)
    -Playing Blackjack As a Business by the late Lawrence Revere (dated)
    -Blackjack for Blood by Bryce Carlson
    -Blackjack Attack 3rd ed. by Don Schlesinger (one of the bibles of the game)
    -Blackjack Secrets by Stanford Wong (advanced)
    -Million Dollar Blackjack by the late great Ken Uston (history/advanced)
    -Burning the Tables In LV by Ian Andersen (advanced)
    and of course the classic
    -Beat the Dealer by Ed O Thorpe. This is more of a history read but is what really started the BJ craze as we know it today. It is from the 1960's when everything was single deck. A must read for anyone really serious about the game.

The list does go on and on.

Good Luck,
    Dan

4. toggaahh

toggaahh New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate your insight. I went to my local bookstore and they didn't have any Wong books. Looks like I'll be on Amazon tonight. I really do love this game. For me, as silly as it sounds, the money is a bonus. Who would have thought so much can be read into having two cards...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  5. Joep

Joep Active Member

Its what you have seen

Its more about the cards that have come out before you two card were dealt and what's left in the deck .Thats what makes this all worthwhile

6. 21playerBJ

21playerBJ New Member

Good Books

toggaahh
    I've read over 30 books.........some good, some not so good. But one thing that I have realized is that there is something worth learning in each and every one of them. With the game of BJ a virtually 50-50 game, any thing or any bit of advice that I can learn to help get an advantage is worth the price of a book. Even if it is only a small item or even if it is just a single item from a book, I find it helpful. I'll just kinda file that bit of information away and then pull it out when needed or apply it in a given situation.

Good luck with your reading........learn everything that you can about this game....it's tough, even when you know all the right moves and strategies!!!!

7. zengrifter

zengrifter Member

Silberstang was Playboy's gambling advisor in the 70s-80s but his book is not A-list, though solid. I put him in a similar class with Avery Cardoza. zg

8. sirklas

sirklas Member

Good books!!!

Good books -->

Stanford Wong: "Professional Blackjack"
    Kevin Blackwood: "Play Blackjack like the Pros"

Best wishes, Sirklas :)

9. zengrifter

zengrifter Member

Problems with each:
    Professional Blackjack - needlessly bogged down with excess charts and different indices for different rules.
    Play Blackjack like the Pros - over emphasizes HO2 which is an antiquated system.

Single best book - Blackbelt in BJ. zg

10. sirklas

sirklas Member

Critic on Wongs & Blackwoods books...

@ Blackwood: Why is the HO2 an antiquated system? And if you should be right, thats no argument, not to read the book. That makes the book not bad! The book is great for beginners, it is written perfect. It tells you all you need to know for the beginning in cc! The Author is a very skilled bj player. So I really can recommend his book!!!

@ Standford Wongs - Perfessional BJ:

I can`t understand your critic! It`s the standard book for every card counter, the bible. It`s a good book to look into, when you change the games, or need to know something very fast.

Best wishes, see you at the cruise :)

11. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

My first book

The first book that I ever bought on Blackjack in the early 1980’s (Which I still have) is titled “Blackjack your way to riche$ by Richard Albert Canfield.
    I am sure that this book has recently been mentioned in a biography or software programme. Can anyone enlighten me?
    How does it stand up to today’s publications?
    Andy