Good news for Monkeys

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Barney Stone, May 4, 2007.

1. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

2. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Finally, Some Progress!

That's great news in the quest for simian rights! Next they'll allow monkeys to gamble online in the 'States! LOL

3. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Don't go to Hartlepool

I can't remember whether this has been mentioned before so apologies if it has...

Since we are on the subject of monkeys I think you may find this story amusing.

Monkey Hanger is the affectionate term by which Hartlepudlians are often known by other residents of Great Britain.

According to local folklore, during the Napoleonic wars, a French ship of the type chasse marée (literally, tide-chaser) was wrecked off the coast of Hartlepool. The only survivor was a monkey, wearing a French uniform (presumably to provide amusement for those onboard the ship). On finding the monkey, some locals decided to hold an impromptu trial on the beach; since the monkey was unable to answer their questions, they concluded that it was a French spy. The animal was thus sentenced to death and hanged from the mast of a fishing boat. To this day, this has remained a source of embarrassment for people from Hartlepool, a minority of whom consider the term 'Monkey Hanger' offensive. It is often used to refer to supporters of Hartlepool United Football Club by supporters of their arch rivals Darlington.

In 2002, Stuart Drummond campaigned for the office of Mayor of Hartlepool in the costume of the local football team's mascot, 'H'Angus the Monkey'. He narrowly won. His election slogan had been "free bananas for schoolchildren", a promise he was unable to keep. Despite this, he stood again three years later and won with a landslide victory.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger"

Cheers

Reachy

4. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

As I've said many times before, the things one learns on this site is incredible. :D

5. noman

noman Top Member

Thanks for the Education, Reachy!

I did not know that.

It just shows to goya, you can learn more from humor than ranting, raving and rending of cloaks.

6. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

One final note...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  7. Reachy

Reachy New Member