Harrah's Rincon 10K on Wed 7/20....?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Sandy Eggo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo Member

Anyone local considering going? $20 for the basic loyalty card holders, upper tiers are comped.

I'm thinking since it's close enough and the prize high enough -- and it's a WED -- to swing down to give it a whirl.

~Sandy

2. irobinson

irobinson New Member

What time?

3. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo Member

4. onemorehand

onemorehand Member

I know of several area players who will be there. Unfortunately, I will not be one of them.

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo Member

I'm trying to talk myself into going...have to decide by 2pm so that I'm there in time.

6. irobinson

irobinson New Member

Couldn't do it. Work got in the way. Maybe next time.

10k pot is worth it for a $20 entry.

7. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo Member

I went.

I was annoyed with the 'prelim' format as it reminded me of a Slot Tourney (top24 scores advance from all players). Ironically, I was chip lead for my table (35,600) and I think all but the guy who felted made the Semis.

Semis sucked for me...couldn't get cards or make hands happen. And Semis were 1-advance from 5 tables.

Didn't stick for the Final table as I was hungry and grabbed food....I should have just left. I'd have been up $60 rather than down $180 when I did leave at midnight. (At least I missed the collision into the mountain between Pala and 15, I hope none of the Forum Members were involved)

they said they were going to do it again next month.

But here's the skinny -- the whole 10k wasn't cash-cash. the breakdown was:

1st -- $5000 in Live Gaming Chips
    2nd -- $2000 in LGC
    3rd -- $1000 in LGC
    4th -- $750 in Promo Chips
    5th -- $500 in Promo Chips
    2nd Chance drawing AFTER the Final Table (and if you 'cashed' you couldn't win these) of three $250 in Promo Chips

The 2nd Chance winners had a week to collect their prize.

I think going forward...I need a 'handler' to make sure I don't donate vs. break even or better. :rolleyes:

8. irobinson

irobinson New Member

Well, if they have it next month I may check it out. For a $20 entrance fee they are giving a pretty big first place prize.

We will see how long it takes them before they realize that it is a loser.

9. onemorehand

onemorehand Member

Next month (Aug 23rd I think) I will get a room, it is a long time between rounds and final wild card drawing (10:30). If you make it to the final table you sure don't want to make a long drive afterward.

I did get to play and came in 4th ($750 in promo chips). They had almost 200 entrants so they should start the 2nd round earlier but ...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

Chips?

You mention live gaming chips and promo chips. By "live gaming chips" do you mean regular cash value chips? That you could just cash out for full value if you wanted? And are the promo chips 'use once', or 'play until you lose'? Makes a difference in the value of the tourney.

11. onemorehand

onemorehand Member

Yes, live checks are actually gaming chips that can be taken to the Cage. Promo chips cannot be cashed but used at the tables and played until you lose (not taken on pushes, payed and taken on wins and pays even money on bj's). The even money on bj's cost me three times ($150 total).

12. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

You said "payed and taken on wins", did you mean 'payed on wins and you get to replay the promo chip', and 'taken on losses'? Also - I assume you could play the promo chips on other games than BJ - such as craps?

13. onemorehand

onemorehand Member

No replay of promo chip on wins. The promo chip is payed with regular chip and dropped by Dealer. Yes, they can be used at craps or any other games that uses chips. The "used until lost" system of course is better but at least they offer surrender on most BJ games.

14. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo Member

calendar looks tight if I can make this in August. I'll have been in Reno (if things work out) for a convention the 17-21 (Wed-Sun) and will be driving from San Jose on Monday back to LA.

If it all shakes out, then I'll be there. If not, good luck to all who can make it.

(And I agree about a room...I should have read on my Kindle vs. returning to cash games inbetween things)