Head-to-head tournament strategy / odds / etc.

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by masonuc, Feb 18, 2009.

1. masonuc

masonuc New Member

I am playing in a head-to-head invite tournament in March (they have become very popular for invite tournaments in Vegas during March Madness). I played one last year but didn't make the head-to-head portion (top 64 after starting with 150-200).

Any thoughts on strategy or whether understanding tournament strategy is more/less of an advantage versus a regular tournament? It seems to me that when you play regular tournaments there are always plenty of people betting big early -- and either they all hit or none of them hit. So your ability to get a free big lead as BR1 depends largely on dealer. But here you'll have more rounds, so need the dealer to be "hot" more times. On the other hand, with only one player to worry about, it seems easier to bet properly and not have to worry about some lucky guy catching a BJ when 3 people go all in on the 3rd hand.

Any general thoughts on strategy differences for playing in a heads up tournament? Generally they work as a table of 6, but you are only playing one person at the table -- 3 mini-games going on. As usual with these invite tournaments, I expect it to mostly be high rollers with minimal knowlege of correct tournament strategy, although I'd say 10% of participants are smart enough to figure it out, and another 5% have read Wong/Smith/etc. and are very good at tournaments.

BTW, I wish Ken would add a chapter on heads up tournaments generally -- as I said they have become very popular in March, especially at the MGM properties. I remember 2 years ago the Bellagio, Mirage, and MGM all had big heads up tournaments the same weekend in March. (Which sucked because you can only play 1 at a time).

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

As nobody else has commented ...

you'll have to make do with my thoughts :) -

It can make sense to switch from min-betting earlier than you normally would, defending a lead if you've got one, or giving chase if you are behind. (Even if it's too early to go into full-on catch-up mode, a few extra chips can be enough to ensure that a swing in your favour would give you the lead).

With just one opponent, knowing their habits can be very beneficial. Some people routinely make the same bet. I play a lot of ten-round, heads-up tables; if I'm betting first and I'm confident my opponent is going to lead off with an enormous bet, then I may depart from min-betting straight away, betting a little less than half what I anticpate they will bet (and feeling like a fool if they don't then do what I anticipated :()

Knowing whether you will have position on the final round is also a big factor. It sounds like, with three mini-games at the same table, you will have the usual uncertainty due to people possibly being eliminated early. I'm used to playing heads-up games where there are just two players at the table, and hence you know immediately who will be betting last.

Good luck in the tournament.