Help!!!

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by pokernut, Oct 24, 2004.

1. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Help a poker player out, in poker I know what and when but still a newcomer to BJ tourneys. What did I do wrong on the last bet?

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

pokernut is referring to the finals at Global, where he ended up in second place.
    I'll see if I can reconstruct the hand from memory:

In button order, final hand:

datal bets $60 from a bankroll of $61.50.
    pokernut bets $40 from a bankroll of $90.50.
    Selecticom bets $40 from a bankroll of $91.50.

pokernut, You'll have to help out with what cards were dealt, as I don't recall and it's not available yet for replay. (I think you had a hard 12.)

I like your bet. Betting any amount between $33 and $45 accomplishes roughly the same thing. Once the cards are dealt, you can decide whether you should double, hit, stand or surrender, depending on what your opponents have as cards.

3. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Selecticom had 20, Datal had hard 14 , I had hard 12, dealer had a 6. I thought about doubling but I guess I play too much poker and I took the lock of 2nd since Datal had already stood I probably should have doubled and gone for 1st since it would have only cost me $200 ($500 for 2nd vs. $300 for 3rd) even if I had come in 3rd. In most poker tourneys we would have chopped and took $600 each I guess poker players are not really gamblers..

4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, those cards look familiar now that you've described them.

Yes, I would have taken a shot with the double, but this is a perfect spot to use "Ken's Quandary". (I wrote this whole response, and then realized that you can't double for less at Global, since you just click the 'Double' button. Oh well, it's a nice post anyway. :eek: At Global, I would have doubled anyway. It's your best chance at taking first place, and there's little downside risk as you note.)

Consider what happens if you double for the full $40.
    If you bust, Selecticom stands and is a lock for first place.
    If you make a stiff, Selecticom splits and doesn't hit a busting hand. Again, he's a lock for first place.
    If you make a hand of 17-21, he still should split and hope for good cards. He shouldn't hit a stiff though, because if the dealer busts with a 6 up, he wins anyway.

Now consider a better alternative: You should double for less, for any amount between $2 and $38. If you bust, you're still toast. But, if you make a stiff, you now force Selecticom to make a choice. Since he's not allowed to 'split for less', he risks a lot more by splitting now. He gives back the low to you if he splits. If he splits and the dealer beats the whole table, you get first place.

5. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Ken, thanks for helping a poker player. I wanted to double for less and leave enough to keep 2nd but was unable to do this with their software, after all hitting a 12 is 13 to 4 against breaking. Just learning the BJ tourney game, maybe one day I will be up there with you pros.