Hit Or Stand?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by sweet william, Jul 11, 2007.

1. sweet william

sweet william Member

in a very postive count,you are dealt a stiff,dealer has 10 up.probability of 10
    in hole,if you hit probable 10, so is it hit or stand?

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

It depends. Some stiffs are still appropriate to hit until very high counts, while others become appropriate to stand at minor plus counts. The closest decision in blackjack is the 16vT decision. If the count is zero or positive, stand. If the count is negative, hit. For each other decision, there is a key index number above which you stand and below which you hit.

If you'd like a list of the most useful index numbers for the popular Hi-Lo count, try this:
    http://bjmath.com/bjmath/tcindex/i18index.htm

3. sweet william

sweet william Member

hey ken,thanks for responce & link to index to numbers.
    i never made myself very clear on what i was thinking of,asumeing next card10 (hand will be lost hit or stand) should next hand be a factor in decison to
    take card or not? in other words save 10 for next card out or use it now to
    get it out of play.i know there are two many varibles for a pat answer, i guess what i want to know is should this be factored in decision to hit or stand?

4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

If you're confident that the next card is a ten, then stand on the stiff and lose this bet. Bet big on the next hand, since your first card will be the ten (assuming you're also correct about the hole card being a ten, or at least a pat dealer hand.). Note that I'm talking about situations where the next card was exposed or something along those lines. "Guessing" that the next card is a ten is a dangerous and expensive pastime.