Hitting on 16s

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by zenthran, Sep 4, 2007.

1. zenthran

zenthran New Member

Hello all I'm new to the forums as my title suggests it is a question about hitting on 16s

Now I for one am not a fan of doing it at all just because of the number of cards that could bust me and the posibility of the dealer not get the card he needs or not having a 17 or above have any of you ever felt conflicted when faced with a situation such as mine?

2. Reachy

Reachy New Member

BS & counting

Yes, but unless you are counting or you have any other indicator as to why you should go against BS, then do what the tables say and hit when you need to and long-term you'll lose less. However if you talking about tournament play, well then that's a different kettle of fish....

Cheers

Reachy

3. maxwell

maxwell Member

just a opinion-do not be afraid of the dreaded 16 depending on what the dealer has and depending if this is a tournament or regular table play-in tournaments for the most part you have surrender as a option

do not be afraid to ask questions at this site this is what this site is for and locating tournaments

:D :D

we have a number of great players who know a lot about the game-tournament and table play-go ahead and get your feet wet and begin:D :D

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

HIT IT! (Well, maybe not........)

Reachy (welcome back!) and Maxwell are right.
    In regular table play, if you're not counting, hit it unless surrender is offered.
    In tournament play, the right answer depends wholly on your situation at that moment.
    It could be hit, surrender - or even double!
    Ask Ken Smith about his last hand with HD at a UBT final table. :D

5. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

hitting 16

the edge for hitting sixteen versus standing is very small - and - if you need to win - and a push will not do - then standing wins fractionally more often than hitting does - hitting has a higher ev because it lets you push sometimes -

but if you are trying to correlate in a tournament - and the player you are correlating with has, say, 17, - then standing can be a good play - as you will duplicate the other player's results except when the dealer hits to exactly 17 -

of course, when surrender is offered, it is preferred to either hitting or standing in normal play -

so - hitting, standing, and surrender - all can be desirable - depending on the situation - in tournaments - situations can often determine the best play -

6. zenthran

zenthran New Member

Thank you all for your input:) Is very helpful.

7. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Welcome Zenthran,

There are members here who can give you the percentages but I would defer to an excellent article in ALL IN magazine by Ken Smith in the tournament strategies column.

In that article Ken discusses instances when you want to hit, instances when you want to stand and instances where you want to surrender.

It woudl be great if Ken could somehow get that article here as a reference material.

8. zenthran

zenthran New Member

Well Hitting on 16 put me in a final table on on ClubUBT for $10 that was just intense. Is my first final table for money of anykind:)

9. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Congrats on your first final table! Quite a feeling, isn't it? :D

I still remember mine, probably always will. :cheers:

10. maxwell

maxwell Member

1st Final

Congrats On Your 1st Final Table
    I Will Remember My First Final Table With 1st Place Win For 20k(you Will Be Hooked Now For Sure)
    What A Feeling To Win And A Final Table Is A Win No Matter How You Look At It
    Keep Asking Questions And Learning This Is A Ongoing Learning Experience
    You Are In The Right Place To Learn Ken Smith Has A Lot Of Good Articles To Read And Learn
    Ask And Learn Then Apply
    As You Know By Now That This Site Will Offer You Great Information
    Now That You Have Final Table Experience You Are Now Ready To Get Your Feet Wet In A Live Tourny This Is Where The Real Fun Begins:d :d