How about an Other Games Calendar?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by kelly_c_ritter, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I personally would find it very useful if there were either a separate calendar for other games tournaments (e.g. craps, baccarat, roulette, maybe video poker) or this was encompassed somehow in the current calendar. I would guess that a fair number of the participants in this forum do at least receive offers for other games tournaments and quite possibly play in a fair amount of them. Any interest in this?

2. deltaduke

deltaduke Active Member

separate calandar

If so it should definitely be a separate calandar. I know I receive so many offers for other game tournaments that it would clog the board and make looking for blackjack tournaments harder or more time consuming.

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I think a reasonable approach would be to have an extra option on each tournament to designate the type. It would default to blackjack of course. Then, on the calendar you could choose to see all types of events, or just blackjack.

Opinions on that?

4. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I like it...

But I would prefer the new "Calendar Update" by the CalendarBot stay just for BJT. Altho, if the CalendarBot could place them in "Other Games" or something it would be a good magnet to BJT.com for searches concerning other tournaments like Slot or VP. Including other tournaments as a side action could get BJT.com more hits and members. ;)

5. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Initially I was not going to respond to this thread. However, I have some free time (I'm not tired enough to sleep yet) so here goes. Just keep in mind these are just my "off the cuff" thoughts - my initial reaction if you will..

I personally do not care for the idea. But if it were a separate calendar then I can live with it because then I could just ignore it. The idea to "have an extra option on each tournament to designate the type" is prone to errors - unintentional of course. The errors will creep in and compromise the BJT listing as it would become muddled (to whatever degree) with non BJT events. And of course BJTs will creep into the non-BJT listing and become lost.

Then of course there is the question of who will post non BJT events. We have, regrettably, a very small percentage of members who now post BJTs. Does anyone think that these members are going to spend their time posting all the non BJT events they come across? I think not. I for one would not bother posting non BJT events.

6. KenSmith

After more thought, I agree with toolman1 here. The process of keeping the calendar up to date is quite a tough one already, and it is definitely a fact that any 'other games' coverage will be very light.

I think that one of the factors that some users will utilize in deciding whether to add a listing or not is how comprehensive the current calendar seems. In other words, if I'm looking at a fairly comprehensive list of blackjack tournaments and I know about one that isn't listed, I'm more likely to take the time to add it because it is apparent that the calendar is a viable entity.

On the other hand, if I see a short list of only a handful of events, it is quite apparent that the majority of scheduled events are not listed. In that case, I would probably think it isn't worth the bother of adding just one more event to an obviously ineffective list.

We already have to fight this battle for blackjack. I'm certain we can't win it for other games.

The calendar here will remain for blackjack events only.

If you have information about an other game tournament that would be of interest to other users, feel free to post about it here in the Other Games forum.

7. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

After..

reading the latest entry to the calendar, a 3 card poker tourney, Im a little confused :D

8. KenSmith

Yeah, I did stretch the rules a bit for that one! I had been in the habit of updating that 3-card tourney since they alternate every other week with blackjack. Just my luck after my last post that I get mail with the new dates for it. ;)

9. Jeff Dubya

Jeff Dubya New Member

Ken, I think this is a wise decision IMHO. You can't be everything to everyone. Do one thing and do it well.