How much luck is involved?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Reachy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Hi

I've been chatting to various people in the Global Player Chat room and there seems to be a range of opinions on how much luck is involved in Tourney BJ. I'd like to think it's mostly skill and that therefore the more skilled players would win more often; quite a few people disagreed though. What does everybody think? Obviously luck will be a factor but over time this will even out and the cream will rise to the top. How does it compare to poker luck wise? Is there any way to quantify the impact of luck?

Wan't it Arnold Palmer who said "the more I practice the luckier I get"? Do you think that's true with BJ?

In my limited experience the BJ tourneys I've played in so far often seem to come down to a coin toss on the last hand. In some ways this seems to reinforce the luck side of the game but you have to be there to be in with a chance.

What do you think?

2. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

It's a card game

Your outcome in an individual game relies mostly on luck, unless you undermine your chances with poor play, or your opponents undermine theirs.

In the long run luck will even out and the players who make the most money will be the ones with the least errors and leaks in their play.

Getting good reads on your opponents and knowing how to use the information is a factor in the accuracy of your play, also. That's skill.

The tournament format is a big factor in the impact of luck vs. skill, too. Some formats make tournament blackjack into a virtual lottery, while others put a premium on skilled play.

3. noman

noman Top Member

Someone else of noteriety said something like "Luck is skill and preperation enacted at the oportune time."

4. david

david New Member

me personally i would have to say that skill and money managment get you to the last couple of hands where luck takes over.