How To Host a Blackjack Tournament (Please Help)...

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Nugzy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Nugzy

Nugzy New Member

Im new to Blackjack tournaments. I recently saw one on television and it really sparked my interest. Ive been searching everywhere for a good tournament site and finally found this one!

Im interested in hosting a blackjack tournament this weekend with the guys instead of the traditional poker game. Can anyone tell me the rules and how the tournament is structured? Or can you point me to a link to a site that can? I want the tournament to last about 1-2 hours, so whats a good set amount of hands to play? (I want to do set amount of hands versus time limit because we take alot of breaks to bullshit and get drinks.)

Also, could someone point me in the direction of a blackjack strategy sheet/card? I want to supply one to everyone who plays so they can make the "correct" play.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. mikeaber

mikeaber New Member

Basic Strategy

http://www.wizardofodds.com/ under Blackjack will get you all the strategy cards you need for any version of BJ you want to play.

I might make a suggestion though....why not have several "tournaments" of 25 hands? That way, your friends who loose out early can get into the next one rather than just "hang around" while those remaining finish?

3. Nugzy

Nugzy New Member

How do I play a tournament? What are the rules? How is it played? What is the proper amount of chips to start with? What do the minimum bets start at? How often do they go up? What do they go up to?

4. mikeaber

mikeaber New Member

Home Blackjack

First of all, let me emphasis that there are a LOT of heavy tournament players on this board far more knowledgable than I. I beg comment on the parameters that I'm stating here in this message as I've only done this in practice.

Probably a thousand variations. To keep it simple, set your buy-in and then decide how to divy up between the winner(s) after the set number of hands.

You might set starting chips at $500 for each person and set a $50 maximum bet until the last three hands and maybe make the maximum $100 at that point.

Unless you have a shoe to deal out of, I'd stick with maybe a double deck game. Dealer stands on all 17's. Players can double on anything, resplit pairs up to a total of 4 hands. If you and the other's are not good card handlers, you can always deal the DD game face up to the players with the standard one card face up for the dealer.

The disadvantage of this sort of "tournament" at home is that someone has to be the dealer and will be eliminated from actually competing in the action. In reality, the only reason that you need a separate dealer is so that the dealer's hand can be checked for blackjack before players make their plays.

I like to shuffle double deck games by splitting the deck into halves. Take one half and riffle, riffle, strip and a final riffle. Do the same with the other half deck. Then riffle the two halves together, burn the first card and deal.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  5. Nugzy

Nugzy New Member

Thanks. Im gonna record a Blackjack tournament on Tivo to see how they structure also.

6. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Contact me

I put them on all the time, private message me and I will try to help you.
    Where are you located?

7. justlsuteddy

justlsuteddy Member

Caddy Blackjack!

If you are just playing with "the guys" you should really consider Caddy Blackjack instead of trying to organize a tournament for a handful of friends.

Caddy Blackjack is covered in detail in Ken Uston's book Millionaire Blackjack.

8. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Nugzy,
    I gotta go to flip those burgers now. But check my message in announcement secion later (very late) tonight, I will post some posible tournament formats you might be interested in.

S. Yama

9. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Sorry don't have time

Sorry guys, gotta catch couple hours of sleep.
    Will post it next week.

S. Y.

10. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

TXtourplayey. Am I Invited.

If I ever get over to Texas can I come to one of your Blackjack parties?
    Andy.

11. TXtourplayer

Hell Yea!

Everyone is always invited to play at my tournaments. If we get a small group we'll play at the house and a larger group we'll just get a hotel meeting room like I use to.

One thing I didn't mention about the cruise tournaments is that we are bringing our own tables and dealers for the events. That means besides the four major tournaments already scheduled we can make up mini-tournaments for whatever the players want to play for (all I ask is that you take care of the dealers).

Hope you can make the cruise.

12. justlsuteddy

justlsuteddy Member

Where in Texas are you? I am in Houston from time to time.

13. TXtourplayer

Metroplex

Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

14. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

The bestest of the best.

Hey, here is my delayed post on better forms and formats of bj tournaments.
    Since most if not all players claim that they are better (if not the best) then the most if not all other players -there is a huge insatiable need for a format that really indicates those who know the most and deserve the best.
    Of course, the thorough knowledge can be tested only by a real test. So let’s have a 500 question multiple-choice test that have to be completed in four hours. That’s four hours of high entertainment!
    I have prepared the questions and most likely won’t reveal it to people I don’t know (still, you can inquire about them privately). Organizers of tournaments can purchase three sets of questions at the prize of $199.00 each. (If Wong can charge that much for his crap craps system why can’t I?).

S. Yama

PS
    There are still other formats available As usual; I will make post about it later on, in a new message.

15. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

Just Kidding!

S.y.

16. Joep

Joep Active Member

$199

At least your package may have some value @ $199 .