How to survive semi-finals?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by kirbyk, Jun 14, 2008.

1. kirbyk

kirbyk New Member

If you read the post about my recent Seattle trip you will know what's coming. Played 5 tournaments and had no trouble in the first round, but busted out in second round in all but the first tournament.

I figure that I must know something about strategy to have consistent first round success, but am baffled by my second round failures. Perhaps my expectations are too high.

Is there a different strategy in those intermediate rounds? Thanks for your advice.

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

Semi-finals

Could just be random variance - I once went through a spell where I couldn't get out of the qualifying rounds - re-buys after rebuys - and many of these first round tables were 2 advance - so was playing the first round, with zero edge - but - once I got to the semis, when I did - which were all one advance - I won every one - six in a row - this was followed shortly after by a sequence where I won all my first round tables (no rebuys needed) - but couldn't win a semi for anyhing - lost five semis in a row - simple variance

other possible cause - how many advance? are first round tables two advance and semis one advance? or vice versa?- any three advance tables? - you will want to alter your play a little to account for the different formats - maybe you're doing well with one format - but aren't playing a different format quite right

3. kirbyk

kirbyk New Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Virtually all the tournaments were top 2 advance in each round. I noticed that betting was very conservative in first round but more aggressive in semi-final round and quite aggressive in the final round (I won my only money by basically flat betting in the finals and advanced as others busted ).

I think my strategy was to play against the field - aggressive in round 1 when others were conservative, less aggressive in semi-finals, and least aggressive in finals. What often seemed to happen is that I got way behind in the semis and tried for a big bet recovery, unsuccessfully. Perhaps I should have been a better correlator in semis, but if I had had my big bet go well, I could have advanced in another 3 tournaments (bet all the losers say that!):laugh:

Playing UBT online is probably not the greatest training for old-fashioned elimination tournaments as aggression seems to be the name of the game on UBT.

4. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

strategies

kirbyk

the probability that, with 6 players at a table, looking at the early hands, say first 11 hands, one of the other six players will win more than half their hands (assuming assuming a 44% win avaerage for the table), is better that 87%; that two of the other players will win more than 1/2 the hands, is better than 55% - over 11 hands - if you bet small initially in single advance or two advance tables - it is much more likely than not - that at least two players will accumulate more chips than you do - however if you bet aggressively, it is most likely that you will lose more hands than you win - that's quite the quandary - and - the essential problem in tbj - how do you deal with that

many good players bet very conservatively at the start - in the hopes that at least one of the other players will crash out - then try to win it all with one bet - a valid but weak strategy in my opinion - but regardless of how you approach the early/middle hands - most tournaments come down to 'what happens on one bet' - or maybe two or three critical bets - I have gone into an elimination hand on UB many times - with a big lead - only to have everyone else go all in and I get swung by the whole table and eliminated - more often - a single hand where one is swung by a large number of players - and you fall behind, turns out to be crucial - and when you try to catch up - you hit a losing streak and things just get worse - or - they can go your way - either way -

my humble philosophy here is : A. be aggressive on single and double advance tables - but conservative on three advance tables - and B. size your bets relative to the other players - it is where you are in the 'betting range' that is important - if the betting range is $100 to $1000, and the other players are betting $750 to $1000, then a bet of $600 is very conservative - the opposite - if the other players all bet $100, then a bet of $200 is aggressive - it is your betting position that determines aggression or conservatism - not the absolute amount - this is simplistic - as relative bankrolls also affect your betting - but you get what I am saying -

still - it is usually the outcome of one or two hands that determines who advances - and that is simple variance - so - just trust that it will even out over time - your goal should be attaining a BR position that gives you an advantage when those crucial hands occur

also - I will often play a counter betting strategy in the earlier hands - going conservative when the other players are aggressive, and aggressive when they are conservative - this can open up a gap - but either way - if it goes against you - then that's where a two-step progression can either put you in a good BR position or put you out -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

Some Probabilities

say you have a six person table, and we are looking at the first 11 hands - what would be considered the 'early hands' -

if the probability of a player winning a hand is 44%, then the probability that YOU will win 6 or more of the first 11 hands is 34.1%, while the probability that at least one of the other five players will win at least 6 hands is 87.6%; and the probability that two or more of the other 5 players will win 6 or more hands is 55.5%; and the probability that three or more of the other five players will win 6 or more hands is 22.2%.

of course, tables can run hot or cold - so - if the winning percentage (average) for the players at the table is actually 63% - then the numbers are : for you: to win 8 or more hands: 37.1%; for at least one of the other five players to win 8 or more hands: 90.2%; for two players: 61.2%; and for three: 26.9%.

if the table runs the other way, say the players wins average to only 33% of the hands - then the probabilities are: for you to win 5 or more hands: 28.9%; for one or more of the other five players to win at least 5 hands: 81.8%; for two or more: 44.9%; and for three or more: 14.9%.

betting conservatively at single advance and two advance tables will virtually assure that you will go into the middle and end hands playing from behind - a significant disadvantage - while playing conservatively at a three advance table will probably advantage you -

the bottom line is, that regardless of the table running favorable or unfavorable for the players as a group - at least one, and very likely two, of the other players will win more hands than you do - that is very likely - it is unlikely that three of the other players will win more hands than you -

it is always an advantage to be BR1, or, at least in a bankroll position to advance, and always a disadvantage to be in a BR position that will not advance - at any point in the game - so - you should play aggressively at single and two advance tables, and conservatively at three or more advance tables - as a general rule - and agression and conservatism should be weighed relative to the other players betting range - not simply large or small bets in absolute amounts -

aggresion can also be counter betting - going against the trend of the other players - if they are betting very large amounts relative to bankrolls - remember that any individual player is more likely to lose a hand than win

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  6. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

more probabilities

reversing the approach above - lets look at losing

if the players lose an average of 48% of their hands - then you are likely (out of 11 hands) to lose 6 or more 44.6% of the time - while, at a six person table - the other five players are ALL likely to lose six hands or more only 1.8% of the time, 4 of the other five are going to lose six or more only 12.7% of the time, and 4 or more players are likely to lose 6 or more hands only 40% of the time -

if the losing average is 63%, then you will lose 7 or more hands 61.5% of the time; while ALL FIVE of the other players do so only 8.8% of the time; four of the five will do so 36.3% of the time; and 3 out of the other five players will do so 70.5% of the time.

For a table where the losing percentage is running only 33%, you will lose 4 or more hands (out of 11) 51.8% of the time; all five of the other players will lose four or more only 3.7% of the time; four or more players only 21.1%; and three or more players 53.3%.

so, again, if you are depending on other players losing to put you in a good BR position at a single adance or two advance table - it is not going to happen very often - but - at a three advance table its a pretty good bet.

7. Venture

Venture Member

An intermediate player here. Possibly overestimating myself at that. I feel very comfortable when two advance. Semi finals are my downfall. Without getting technical, it seems obvious that more aggressive play is needed, even though it goes against my grain. I am gradually learning to pick the spots to apply more aggressive play. It would be nice to see more posts on this topic. I enjoyed reading RK's responses.

8. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

some thoughts

I feel with single advance tables - and weak players - which since I play mostly smaller tourneys is my normal player environment - the probabilty of one player chunking out chips and getting lucky and running away with the table is very high - the probability that you will be that player - not so good - two advance makes it more reasonable - not nearly as likely that two players will be amazingly lucky - I keep edges by format - such as edge at single advance tables - edge at two advance tables - etc - and my edge at two advance is significantly higher than my edge at single advance - I would imagine that this is the case with any player with some skills - not just that two advance gives you twice the opportunity to advance - but - you actually play with a higher edge - as it is less subject to random variance impacting your advancement