Hows this strategy???

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by rounder21, Dec 18, 2006.

1. rounder21

rounder21 New Member

It's been working pretty well for me. When 2 advance and you are 1 of the top 2, bet the average bet of the 1st and 2nd out of the other 5. Logically it seems like the best thing to do. If everybody wins or everybody loses, you stay at that pivot point. They could keep passing each other but you stay at the pivot point. If you are in the lead is it best to match the bet of the 2nd place person when 2 advance? Or to bet in between 2 and 3? It would seem like a good strategy to bet between the other top 2 when you are 1st or 2nd and to bet max when you are 3rd or lower. All this is before last hand of course. Would it make a difference whether or not the player has the advantage??? for example if the count is high enough or BJ pays 2-1 and the player has positive EV off the top, should a person bet higher? It would seem like it wouldnt matter because you should correlate with the opponents... But would you take into consideration the odds? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have more thoughts but I'll leave it at this for now.

Thanks,
    Rounder

2. tgun

tgun Member

strategy 2 advance

In that situation, I like to be 2nd hi and 2nd lo. I think I got that from Wong.

tgun

3. rounder21

rounder21 New Member

Yes youre right...

Wong says 2nd high and 2nd low is most desirable position on the last hand when and only when exactly 3 players are in contention. P. 88 tells the best, 2nd best, and 3rd best desirable spots when there are 3, 4, and 5 or more players in contention on the last hand when 2 people advance. But what about before last hand? Thats what I'm wandering about. Its still really hard for me to calculate chips of players exactly, but I can get it pretty close. Its easier to calculate the average bet between some players, and sometimes if you bet before the player you are including in your average you have to try to predict what they will do. I was just wandering if my strategy is good, or is it better just to bet minimum when you are in position to advance, and max when you are not? Last hand betting I trust that Wong's CTS is correct, but I'm curious about the 24 or more hands before that. Also I'll go ahead and address my next thought.

I read a post where some of you are working on tournament strategy tables and maybe you could help me with this. When you are behind and not in position to advance (not last hand) wouldnt it seem logical that your playing strategy would deviate from B.S. in that it would be similar or identical to the "Push is as bad as a loss" strategy??? Meaning you would stand on 12 V 3 and/or 2 and stand on 16 and 15 more and hit soft 18vA, etc.???
    Also, when you are ahead (not final hand), would you be better off playing similar to the "push is as good as a win" strategy? Hitting more such as 12v4 and 5 and 13v2??? The only thing I do right now is try to shadow my contending opponents as far as playing strategy when I am ahead even if it goes against basic. For example, I may stand on a stiff if an opponent does the same thing, even if we were supposed to hit, so I wont take a chance of busting and getting caught on a swing.

Thanks for your responses,
    Rounder