I won the mini-tournament, but did I play right

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Mr. T, May 17, 2007.

1. Mr. T

Mr. T New Member

I won first price out of 12 players, but did I play right.
    Each given $5000 tournament chips. Min bet $100, max $5000. Going into final round I was second with $5400. The chip leader had $6000 chips and had betted $3000 before me and the third chip leader betting after me had $5300.I betted $5000 in the final round and won the bet and tournament. Did I play right.

2. Joep

Joep Active Member

What were the rules? Was surrender offered ,was the prize money top heavy or evenly distributed? These are important facts that need to be known before anyone can answer your question.

Joep

3. Mr. T

Mr. T New Member

Surrender offered, entrance fee $30, first prize $150 second $90 third $60.

4. Reachy

Reachy New Member

With your bet of $5000 you ensured you had the high which is good. I'm not sure whether BR1 just split his BR without much thought but it is quite a nice bet because a BJ locks the win (assuming noby else gets a BJ of course!)

Other bets worthy of consideration are:

$2300 for the low on BR1 which can be doubled to take high on BR1. Problem is this opens the door for BR3 to take the high and beat your double with a single bet. Can split if you get a pair.

$4700 - Gives you the high on BR1 and allows you to surrender back to the low but still allows BR3 to take the high. However you can now double to beat it. Cannot split if you get a pair.

I think on balance your $5000 bet is best since it's likely you'll get 1st High, 2nd low. Whereas $2300 will likely give you 1st low, 3rd high with options to 2nd low 2nd high, and $4700 will likely be 2nd high, 2nd low with options to 1st low 3rd high.

I'm sure there are other bets that should be considered and it'd be interesting to hear them.

Cheers

Reachy