Internet Gaming H.R. 2046

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by rookie789, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

I received this today from Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey.

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for contacting me with your support for H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this matter.

It's important that we respect the global nature of the Internet and individuals' right to privacy. Thats why I'm a cosponser of H.R. 2046, which would create an exemption for online gaming while establishing federal regulations that provide broad consumer protections and enforceable standards to ensure transparency. This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services. You may be interested to know that last Congress the House considered H.R. 4411, the Internet Gambling Enforcement and Prohibition Act, which would have added greater restrictions and government oversight of online gambling. This bill ultimately went too far in encroaching on individuals' rights, which is why I voted against this bill when it passed the House on 317-93 on July 11, 2006. This legislation was incorporated into the SAFE Port Act, which was signed into law by the President on October 13, 2006. Be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to support a free and open Internet.

Sincerely,

Lynn Woolsey
    Member of Congress

2. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Rookie,

Thanks for posting that response.

If I could be so bold as to request that you post your initial letter to the congresswoman. Maybe others would then take the initiative to write their letters and together we could get UIGEA repealed thereby opening up competition and bring back long-time favorites such as Global- Player.

3. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Just so you can see that people are working on it this is an e-mail I recently received:

Dear Fellow PPA Member:

Thanks to your efforts, we have made tremendous progress in our fight to protect the rights of poker players. More than 40 Members of the U.S. House of Representatives have committed to clarifying federal laws to preserve your ability to play poker online. But we still need your help to get the attention of every U.S. Representative.

Congress is in recess for August and your Representative will be returning home to host local events and town hall meetings. These are great opportunities to tell them that poker is not a crime and to support H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act and H.R. 2610, the Skill Game Protection Act.

Here's how to find out when these events are happening:

Get the phone number of your U.S. Representative's hometown office by clicking here and entering your ZIP Code.

Call to ask when and where these events are taking place in the month of August.

Go to one of these events and bring your fellow poker players. Tell your U.S. Representative that poker is not a crime and to co-sponsor H.R. 2046 and H.R. 2610 when they return to Washington. Let them know that you will support them if they support the rights of law-abiding poker players.

Thank you for being an "August Advocate" for the Poker Players Alliance.

Proud to Play Poker,
    Senator Al D'Amato
    Chairman of the Board
    Poker Players Alliance

4. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Sorry

FGK, About 6 or 8 weeks ago I either received an email with a link or was provided a link included in a newsletter such as BJ21.com that led to a generic letter concerning online gambling which each individual could edit by highlighting the sections or paragraphs they wished to be included. I don't recall if the option of adding language was available or not but I felt what was included as edited was sufficiant.

As I recall you then entered your name and address including zip code and the letter as you edited would be forwarded to your congressperson.

I've searched my saved mail and subscriptions today for the original with no success. Because I never open a link from unknown senders it had to originate from a list I'm on concerning gambling, I recall wondering of the thousands that received this, how many will make the effort so I wasn't concerned about being the messenger.

I'm sure hundreds of members at this site also received it if I did, perhaps someone more diligent or with a better memory can provide the information.

5. marichal

marichal Member

rookie;

since i am still keeping my ca. residence address, while living in wa. state, i have sent a letter off to my representative concerning this issue. thanks for posting the info. this is why this forum is so valuable and educationial, unlike another forum, which continues to have posts that are EGO driven rubbish. need i say more?

thanks again for posting.