Is there a strategy chart for this final hand situation?

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by masonuc, Apr 25, 2008.

1. masonuc

masonuc New Member

This is a situation I seem to get in a lot. I am BR1 and betting last on the final hand. Let's say I have 10k chips. BR2 has 8k chips and bets first on last hand, and bets it all. So I match his bet to get the high and the low. Great. BR2 gets a 20, I get hard 17, Dealer gets an 8. So now I am screwed and have to choose -- hit or stay?

I realize a strategy chart for all these situations might be quite complex. But I'd love to see one for basic 6D rules (S17). Alternatively, if the chart gave % win/tie/lose for every hand vs. Dealer card (not EV -- % win/tie/lose) then it would be helpful, too.

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Surely this is Wong's Table 5 - 'Win Both Ways'? (which says you should stand on your 17)

3. masonuc

masonuc New Member

You might be right, will check Wong book later today. For some reason I assumed it wasn't in Wong and didn't think to check.

4. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

5. masonuc

masonuc New Member

No, that's not what I am looking for (I specifically said that an EV chart won't work). EV chart won't work because it takes into account expected value, not % win/tie/lose -- which is all that matters on the final hand of tournament play. You could work backwards from the EV chart (though it'd be quite difficult). Such a chart may exist on WOO sight or somewhere else in cyberspace though. But EV isn't much help -- you don't need to match BR2's EV, you don't even need to increase your EV. You need to compare your chance of winning or tieing versus BR2's. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not even sure the chart I am looking for would help -- because the hands are so dependent.

Suppose BR2 is 65% to win and 10% to tie. I am 30% to win, 0% to tie, and 70% to lose. It is very possible (likely in some instances) that hitting will decrease my odds of winning the hand (lower EV and lower %) but increase my chance of winning the tournament. So I think you need a special chart for this tournament strategy situation.

6. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

There's also Ken's update to the table, with some corrections and with the addition of soft totals -
    https://www.blackjacktournaments.com/posts/18066

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013