It pays to bitch

Discussion in 'Ultimate Blackjack Tour' started by fgk42, Sep 4, 2007.

1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Congratulations TedinNaples

He won a cruise package on Club UBT in BJ tonight.

Way to go buddy! :1st: :celebrate

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Attaboy Ted!!!! Good job. :D

3. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

Thanks!

I still think the Club sucks in its current format. Over 70 BLACKJACK players lost 1,000 points. And another 24 (semi-finalists and quarter-finalists) lost points as well. I never got Joe to answer my question as to whether the Club pays for the cruises as they are won, or if they'll pay the cruise line a few weeks before the cruise in April. My concern is that if it's the latter, and they go belly up before then (a 50/50 chance in my opinion), what happens to those members who won a cruise. Guess I have to contact them directly instead of going to their mouth piece.

I hope to see many of you on that cruise!

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Don't get me started on The Club again........ :laugh:

Sure hope you get to enjoy your hard-earned cruise. I think it's awesome that you won, right after you got fed up at the LVA site and bailed out. Perfect! :cool:

5. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

Thanks LeftNut! Yeah, it's poetic justice. But I bet Joe puts a nice PR spin on this one, that one of our own won this -- and for just $9.95!

6. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Congrats...

Ted:

Way to go my friend!! Enjoy...

Skipper :celebrate

7. themom82

themom82 New Member

Congratulations Ted

I played at one of your tables today. I am glad someone from this here won. I hope the cruise does go. It should be fun. I will not get to go unless I win one also, so we will have to wait and see.

If you want to go on a cruise before the one in April you should think about going on the Blackjack Cruise IV - Rick has going in January. I am the travel agent doing the booking. I was on the cruise in July and it was a great cruise and alot of great people. This makes me want to go on both the UBT and the January cruise.

Good luck in the future I hope to see you again at the tables.

Themom82 or themom on UBT

8. tgun

tgun Member

wtg

Nice one Ted, Hope you have a great time.

tgun

9. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Way to STICK I T TO THE MAN Ted! Have a great time!

This reminded me of that time Bet21 paid that guy 50 bucks to keep quiet! LOLOLOLOLOL

10. RetGI

RetGI New Member

Congrats Ted.... Well Deserved win..
    As an Aside: I only lost 10 Points in the Tourney.. I don't know how many got in via the Qualifier.

11. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Ted

While I don't claim to speak for Club UBT (heavens forbid!) I can tell you this - in order to get the cabins reserved and the deal they have (large group with benefits) Club UBT has already made a deposit for the cabins. The final payment will usually be due around December 2007.

I'm pretty sure your cruise is "safe". Just make sure you've got your passport ready to go because of the travel enforcement will be in full swing by 2008.

So I'll cancel your room reservation with my group then ok? :joker:

As far as BJ players "losing points" - that is an issue, however with the new rule regarding topping off at 500 points/day, new points tourneys, satellites and the double points for SNG's there are, in my opinion, more than enough points floating around. Is the current system at The Club perfect? Heck no but in my opinion it's a LOT better then it used to be.

Once again Ted congratulations on the win! Now lets see some more BJT.com members onboard!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  12. toonces

toonces Member

Congrats, Ted!

I still think you are wrong about how bad it is that so many people lose points. If you don't have a lot of people lose points, then everyone becomes flush with points and all events are as wacky as freerolls. By forcing people to risk their TP to win cash ensures that these decisions are hard ones.

13. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

ineligible persons

Thanks! Yeah, $50 did go a long way in keeping Fred at bay. :)

I will still be after the Club to get its act together when it comes to blackjack as compared to poker, and any other injustices or unfair tactics I see (such as employees of the Club or its affiliates being able to play and win prizes).

The one difference, it seems, is that the Club does have support people behind the scenes that listen and can, and do, make changes.

I sent this question to the Club last night: Can employees (and their immediate family members) of the Club, of UBT, of sponsors, advertisers, affiliates, CBS, etc., join, play, and win prizes on the Club? Or is it like any other contest or game show where these employees/family members are ineligible to participate?

The reply this afternoon was: Thank you for contacting us. As stated in our terms and conditions in section 2.7:
    The following persons are also ineligible to receive any prize offered on the Site: employees, officers, and directors of the Site, its parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates; and any other person with access to non-public information regarding the operation of any tournament offered on the Site.

Guess which "persons" I'll be sending the above reply to. :)

14. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Ding Ding Ding! Let the Games BEGIN!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

Thanks! I also got in via the qualifier earlier in the day. I don't believe they held that many qualifiers -- at least I didn't see many whenever I checked in. And only three from mine got a free entry into the cruise tournament. Plus, when I checked the cruise tournament details earlier in the day, there were only 6 players registered. So there must have been only two satellites prior to yesterday. You got in through the last qualifier prior to the tournament, and I got in through the one before that.

So with 103 players, there may have only been 12 players who got in for 10TPs. That still leaves a lot of players who lost 1,000 TPs.

16. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

It comes down to poker vs blackjack

Toonces, as I said in another reply to you. While I understand your point of view, and may even agree with you somewhat, it's not fair that three to five times as many poker players as compared to blackjack players retain their points in the big tournaments. If you're going to force people to risk their TPs to win the big prizes, then do so across the board. If the game of blackjack doesn't allow for rankings, then decrease the number of players in a poker tournament who get back points.

Mace and Joe have said that bj isn't as popular as poker on the club. They say to look at the number of players on the cruise tournaments. While poker gets 200, blackjack gets 100. Well, if the club set it up so that only 25 players in the poker tournament got back some or all their points, would 200 poker players be willing to risk their 1000TPs? Currently, the club usually offers 100 players a return of their TPs, so it's a 50-50 proposition, which most poker players would take. Give them a 1 in 8 chance to get points or part of a prize package, and many would not play.

17. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Wow! I'm not a poker player, but it seems to me that one would only have to fold (almost) everything until half the field is gone, thereby recouping the points.

18. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

That's exactly the strategy Mace uses...well, not exactly. He doesn't even fold everything. He just presses the "sit out" button and sits out every hand until half the field is gone. I've tried that on two occasions, and it's not worth the effort to -- in most cases -- make 50TPs. Sure, once you come back to the game and there are under 100 players, you can make a run for the top prizes. However, you're at a huge disadvantage having lost about 300 of the 1000 chips you're given to play with.

19. zweeky

zweeky Member

Ted, you asked if they can join, play and win prizes. The reply does not say they can't play, so maybe they could still join and play without claiming their wins...

20. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

The part that I underlined is going to encompass a great number of players!!!