Joep Article All In

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by eliburk, Jul 7, 2007.

1. eliburk

eliburk New Member

I have some questions about the recent article "UBT Palms Open".

First - this may be a newbie question. He states that "be sure to hold back $1,000 so you can hide your hand total" OK, if it is not a secret bet - how could would this hide your hand. And if it is a secret bet then why hold back $1,000? (This was a situation where you are 2nd low BR and know the low BR will go all in - whether you are 1st to bet or not).

OK, now another probably easy question. I know position is important but how to work it confuses me. In the first hand joep describes I get that if all the players JUST win the new BR are:

Joe 134 but dd 162
    Tommy 130 but dd 135
    Robert 108.5 but dd 123.5
    Annie 133 but dd 188
    Dave 127 but dd 190
    Deb 131 b but dd 152
    Monte 129 but dd 192

(hope all my math is right!) so it seems to me that Monte who bets last is assuming he will dd. His bet is not that secure for a simple win by everyone but for a dd it moves him into first. But he bets so much that he is screwed when he is the only one who loses.
    Now what is Robert doing? He appears to lose in either case above. Dont we assume that it is most likely ALL will win or ALL will lose. Rather than all over the place? (Course he wins so cannot say anything)
    Going through this hand taught me a lot but if anyone would care to argue the various bets I would like to hear it...

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Face Down

I haven't seen the article, but I would assume the reference to holding back $1000 to hide your hand total means so that you can double for less if you know you are only likely to require one card, thus hiding that card and your resultant total from prying eyes. :D

As I understand it, in live games you can dd for 0 if it's a secret bet/action, but otherwise you need some chips left in order to be able to perform this trick.

Secret bet or not, it sounds like the significance of $1000 may be that you can dd for $500 and have $500 left, giving you the low against the all-in player. The face-down card means that the all-in player, if they are acting after you, cannot know if you have bust and simply surrender.