John Ressman

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by LeftNut, Nov 9, 2010.

1. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Reported this afternoon on the LVA BJT forum: John, known as AceMachine here and elsewhere, passed away today. What a class act he was, and a murderously tough opponent at a BJT table.

Rest in peace, John. Someday I hope to merely get close to your level of BJT skill. :cry:

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

This is sad news indeed. In addition to being one of the greatest tournament players of all time, John was a real pleasure to be around. When I first arrived on the tournament scene in Vegas, it didn't take long to realize who was at the top of the hill. John dominated tournaments in Vegas for years, making final after final. He was always cordial and had a kind word, whether he was winning or losing.

I remember fondly one of the first tournaments I saw John in. He played the Stardust event, and for the duration of the event he wore a yellow "Out of Order" sticker across his forehead. The irony was lost on no-one as he won table after table, including the final.

The last final I played with John was in St Kitts a few years back, and true to his usual form, he gave me a thrashing on his way to a first place finish.

John Ressman, Rest in Peace. You'll be missed by all who knew you.

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

I hate hearing about John; I just talked with him last week. I knew he had been in bad health for sometime, but he requested not to have anything said or posted about his condition. He was always a gentleman and an excellent tournament player. Last event we played in together was the Riverwind in Norman, OK. John took 2nd place in that one.
    You'll be missed, Rest in Peace my friend.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Very sad news indeed!

I certainly concur with you guys. I met John about twenty years ago and always looked forward to seeing him many times after that. I last saw him at the Orleans in 2009.
    I too, remember the "out of order" sticker he wore.
    I was on same table with John in one of the early rounds at a Stardust tournament. Not too many hands in, the count went sky high and he bet the max ($300) on next hand and caught a BJ. Even with that, he wasn't one of the "advancers" from the table. As skilled as he was, his cards were bad the rest of the way. We always talked about that happening.
    I can't confirm it, but I think he won three major tourneys at the Stardust alone.
    He had a terrific "numbers mind" and was second to none in both BJ and VP. Along with his talents, he was a pleasure to be around.
    Seems like he told me he was originally from Ohio but I'm sure he'd lived in Vegas for 20+ years.

Billy C

5. creeping panther

creeping panther Banned User

Nice

Never met the Gent but I am glad he is being honored is fine fashion on this site.

I will also pay my respects to whom I am sure was a highly skilled AP as well as tourney player. He is not to be soon forgotten.

CP

6. noman

noman Top Member

Jr

One of the last, fading old time, old fashioned breeds who didn't brag or brandish. Didn't have to. The play was the thing. In a tournament. At the table. One on one. And a mind.

Admonished a "good" but not "great" upstart about whether throwing the dice "in craps" was better than a "craps" card game at Barona. "Does throwing dem bones change the odds?"

JR was the ultimate odds playa. Long live JR.