KOV: Jerry's 6 6

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Rogue, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Rogue

Rogue New Member

For those who may not have watched...

Jerry had 6 6--he split and got another 6--split again and another 6--split again. Each of his four 6's turned into 16. Sorry, I don't remember what anyone else had or even what the dealer had (maybe someone remembers) but I've just been curious as to what the rest of you would do...especially since the host told Jerry he wasn't supposed to do that. I think I would have...but I don't play much BJ and never tournament.

2. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Gotta do what you gotta do....

Spliting 6's late in a tournament is the only time you should try this. The reason is to try and get more chips into play with the split and possible DD or in Jerry's case 3 splits and a DD for 5 bets and give yourself a chance to catch up or take the lead.

By the way on KOV Jerry DD on one of the hands, but the dealer busted and Jerry won all 5 bets.

3. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Optimal strategy

its hard to tell what the correct play should've been, because the editing of the show doesn't give us enough information, and often the host's comments reflect the edited storyline that is 'built' for the viewers at home rather than the more complex reality of what is actually going on. In fact, to be honest i'm not even sure that the splitting 6's hand was actually the LAST hand in the game, although they edited it together that way -- i seem to remember thinking that Jerry was an idiot for doing that at the time, but if it truly was the last hand & David Williams had just made the blackjack & cleared him, then he would've had no choice but to split the 6's to get more money out.

Remember, rogue, often in tournaments you need to completely throw basic strategy out the window when the demands of a particular hand override it, like when you are forced to split/double sub-optimally in order to get more money out, or in many cases waving off on hands BS would tell you to hit in order to have the same result as someone else (for instance, in the hand Jerry made all the 16's, notice i stood on my 14 against the dealer's 9 instead of hitting -- in this way, i was guarenteed to win/win or lose/lose with Jerry, eliminating the chance of a swing that may have potentially changed the outcome of who advanced).

-hd.

4. Rogue

Rogue New Member

Satisfied Curiosity

Thanks, guys for the info...and for rejogging my memory of what everyone else had. I think at the time, I was too busy laughing :laugh: at Williams who seemed to be wanting them all to turn into 16 and then it worked out for Jerry anyway 'cause the dealer bust.

5. Rogue

Rogue New Member

So long, Chainsaw...

I was sad to see Chainsaw eliminated last night. :sad: His verbal sparring with Hollywood was hilarious.

I want to say congrats to you, Hollywood, for making it this far:cheers:
    and cheers to "Lady Luck", too...someone is finally listening to you on the show, Dave.

I truly don't understand why more of your fellow contestants don't pay more attention to the dealer or at least to you if they can't read her tells themselves. I think if I was playing and someone at the table with me kept telling me what the dealer had--and being correct--I would certainly pay attention to that.

6. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

bye bye to seesaw

Thanks for the love, boss... i was surprised at this, too -- but to their credit, i'm such a wild card that they never knew if i was for real or not (in revealing the dealer tell) unless they actually acted after me and could see what decision i made on my hand. half the time when i was in late position i'd know what the dealer had & still give the wrong information to the table, just to f--- them all up!

-hd.

7. Rogue

Rogue New Member

Well...that changes everything! I was wondering why you would want to help them out...I just thought you were a nice guy!:angel: