Laughlin...Past, Present & Future

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by oneeyedjacks, Jun 15, 2007.

1. oneeyedjacks

oneeyedjacks New Member

Some stuff, facts, inquiries and comments about what is happening in Laughlin related to TBJ or not:

1) No one talked-up the Pioneer $25k event (June 1-2) this time around. How come?

2) I guess you are all grizzled veterans playing these top line events? No cool sideline stories came out of the Laughlin experience in May. There was a hint of a royal playing FPDW. Anyone get their room comped from side-action? Anyone figure out table game banked comps? Anyone getting mail from River Palms now? Anyone wander down the river and play/have a beer somewhere else? The Pioneer had Arrogant Bastard Ale (Stone Brewing) on tap as their latest flavor in Sassy Sue's Saloon/River Bar at the end of May.

3) Anthony Marnell III got the keys to Colorado Belle and the Edgewater on June 1st. The One Club is going away July 1st...info on the new websites. A reliable source on a VP group said the longstanding-fun-overlay twice weekly $1.5k mini-BJ tourney at Edgewater is now dead. No personal confirmation yet.

4) Anyone coming back in August will see a different Laughlin. Mid-May the snowbirds left and the river-rats were tuning up their watercrafts. In mid-August it still is full bore river-rat season and family vacation season. Laughlin has its many seasonal moods. One is "Rockets Over the River" for June 30th and July 4th. They shoot fireworks from the old Riverside parking lots on the other side of the river. The Colorado River is closed down for transportation during the shoot. June 30th means a full moon rising too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I hope the

new owner of Belle and Edgewater walks into Don's and check his BJ and carnival tables which are full and decide to offer a somewhat good game. An example of offering a decent BJ game is one evening I walked back to Riverside Resort after a TBT tournament. I saw about 5 people playing BJ at River Palms. 80 playing in Riverside Resort 20 minutes later. Just by offering an OK deep pen single deck and 3:2 with D10+ Don's nets about 50 grand a weekend night from the pits. Hell why be greedy! NO wonder I see him driving his Bentley around the parking lot with his flashers on. :rolleyes:

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Hey 1ej, I thoroughly enjoyed my first-ever trip to Laughlin, and I'm looking forward to returning in August. That hint of a video poker royal you heard was indeed mine. Leave it to me to break my 10-month drought for royals (mostly on $1 multi-line and $5 games) at a 25c full-pay deuces game! Oh well. I guess it's kinda like getting those minimum bet blackjacks in a tournament. There's no such thing as a bad blackjack, and the same goes for royals.

The River Palms rooms were an easy comp, and the variety of food offers, cashback and specials made the stay great for lowrollers. Since I got home I've received a $25 mailer, though it expires in July. I expect I'll get another for August though.

While there, I actually didn't get out as much as I would have liked. We played SO many tournament tables we all stayed pretty busy. I did have a couple of nice walks along the river, but I only visited one other property. Maybe next time I'll manage to broaden my visit a bit.