Logo fees legal?

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by TXtourplayer, Jul 4, 2006.

1. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

I saw this post over at Anthony Curtis LVA site.

Seems there has been court cases about this issue, I wasn't aware of these rulings, but they have legal precedent that seem to make sense.

The following was posted by increasedodds at LVA in regards to charging fees for wearing a logo.

This ones a tricky one - I dont care too much which way you guys go on this, but there has been some legal precedent that I'm sure the company does not want to get involved with.

Several years ago, the KY derby lost in court (I believe federal but could be wrong) and could no longer bar jockeys from wearing ads.

I believe the PGA tour had the same thing mandated years ago.

Not sure how it works in Poker, but everyone has logos on which leads me to believe the tours have not been able to prevent people from wearing them.

I am sure your lawyers are looking at all this.

In any case, looking forward to the details as they get posted and continued good luck in making the business successful.

I wish I knew about this a few years ago during the LVH million dollar event. I was given the chance to get paid to wear a company logo, but the LVH told us before the finals that we couldn't wear any logo wear.

Wonder if these rulings will effect the ban on logos on the WPT shows?

2. pokernut

pokernut New Member

Harrah's rules for the wsop: Players may wear one item of apparal with a 6" square logo. Harrah's reserves the right to ban the wearing/ display of any or all logos. The WPT has almost the same rules so it is just up to them if they will allow it to be worn. At one time neither allowed any logos and if you were wearing one it had to be covered with tape.

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Do they charge a logo fee?

Pokernut, do you know if either Harrah's or the WPT charges a fee to wear a logo?

4. pokernut

pokernut New Member

I just talked to Ken Lambert (he is director of poker operations for the MGM/Mirage group and past WSOP director), and at present there is not a fee. He stated he had thought about the idea of charging while with the WSOP but he did not want the backlash as at this time over 75% of the WSOP main event entries are sponsored. But he said to remember one thing the one who runs the tourney makes the rules and your choice is to agree or don't play.

5. BJFAN4

BJFAN4 New Member

My way or the highway

As per my previous posts, there are lot's of things that bother me about UBT, obviously. Very heavy handed towards the common folks (that would be us) that simply need more information and a level playing field. The issue of fees to anybody sponsoring the players, particularly at the start up phase is one of them.
    Hopefully the forthcoming announcements clarify these issues.:joker: :joker: :joker: