looking to play in a tourny

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Warlord, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Hi I am looking to play in a tournament but would like to learn some strategies/ basic rules etc.

I do not understand this situation here (From here):
    "Player A is dealt a hand of 18 and stands, vs a dealer 6. Player B has a hard 17. Here's where things get interesting. If Player B stands, he wins if the dealer makes 19, 20, or 21. Any other result means a win by Player A."

How does player B win here w/ a 17 vs player A's 18 and a dealers 19,20 or 21?

? what am i missing?

Any links to some more reading would be appreciated.

thanks

2. BABJ

BABJ Member

Player B has held more chips back than Player A,so if the dealer beats both of them Player B will win.

What I don't understand is if Player B has the "free hit" and busting doesn't matter,why stop hitting at 19,why not keep hitting to 21?

3. Warlord

Warlord New Member

oh yeah! thanks.

does player B' stop at 19 cuz player A' has an 18? so he has player A' beat and he wins if the dealer has anything higher.

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Welcome

Exactly. In this particular scenario -
    • If B stands on 17 or 18, then he needs the dealer to make 19, 20, or 21. That would mean A and B both lose their hands, and B finishes with more chips.
    • If B hits on 17 or 18 and busts, the situation is completely unchanged. He still just needs the dealer to beat A. Hence, B has a 'free hit' while he has a total less than 19; hit in the hope of improving the situation, safe in the knowledge that you can't make it worse!
    • If B hits and achieves any total above 18, then he's added 18 to the list of dealer totals that are good for him. If the dealer makes 18, that means A pushes while B wins his hand, which gives B the victory. There'd be no point hitting again on 19, as there is no additional benefit to be gained from reaching 20 or 21.

5. BABJ

BABJ Member

Gotcha...thanks LC.

Makes perfect sense.