Make this Bet

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Joep, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Joep

Joep Active Member

Final hand 2 player one winner betting limits 5-100 (Frontier Tourn. )

Player A bets first and has a Bankroll of 250
    Player B bets last and has a Bankroll of 365

Player A bets 100

What should Player B bet be ? and why ?

Persons with the correct answer get 1 month of Rick Jensesns College Hoop picks FREE

2. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Trick question?

Sounds like the obvious answer is 100 -- to correlate with the first bettor and give the best shot of advancing (88% of the time they will both win or lose together, making B the winner). B could bet less than 15 to shut out a single bet win from A but a natural or double down ruins that plan. So i'd bet 100 and hope for the same result.

-holly d.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  3. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

correct my math

hollywood, if 88% of the time the results are the same for both players then player B making a minimum bet ($5) should win 88% of the time, the remaining 12% would be split 50% with either player winning which stills gives player B the win, that leaves a 6% chance for player A to win (not considering player A and the dealer could both get a natural for a push) which would reduce the 6% chances for player A to win. if my calculations are correct player B has a 94+% of winning with a minimum bet. so i'd make a minimum bet which allows more opportunities for player B to win then just hoping for the same results.

ps: joep if my answer is correct, in addition to Rick's free hoop picks i want 100 bonus points to bet with

4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

rookie, the problem is that a minimum bet by Player B means that Player A wins with any successful double down.

The probability of Player A winning a double or split on the next hand, when he or she plans to double anything, is roughly 30%. That means player B's minimum bet is only good for about a 70% win rate.

Hollywood's max bet is just fine here.

JoeP, I know why you ask, so I'll help you make your point by adding a third player. Here's the setup:

Player A bets first and has a Bankroll of 250
    Player X bets second and has a Bankroll of 120
    Player B bets last and has a Bankroll of 365

Player A bets 100
    Player X bets 100
    What should Player B bet, and why is the best bet different from Dave's now?

5. slim100_us

slim100_us New Member

Alright, these are the kind of questions I like, we can all learn from this. :) However, I like the fighting between Hollywood and Joe P. as well. As long as nobody loses an eye :eek:!!!!

Ken, I would bet $90 here. This would shut out X if he got a blackjack and B lost his bet. It would also cover A's double down if B just won his hand.

I guess the reason this bet is different than Dave's $100 bet is that by betting $90 you are doing two things. You are beating BR2 both ways and you are shutting out BR3.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Slim

6. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

$90 would be my bet, but it can be improved

Slim, you arrived at my likely bet at the table, using much of the same thinking...

For a moment, assume bets must be in increments of $5, which is typical. I expect that Slim assumed the same.

Player A can get to $450 with a double down, so I need to get to $455. I'll bet $90. If I figured the fact that it locks out a blackjack by Player X, all the better. While that would probably cross my mind, I wouldn't waste any effort calculating it, because I know I've bet the least I can to cover A's double. If that doesn't lock out X's blackjack, oh well, I can't afford to.

Well, I managed to make a mistake in this example and as a result I still haven't illustrated the subtlety that Joe intended when he posted.
    I intended $95 to be the best bet, but I changed Player X's bankroll at the last minute and mangled that, because $95 doesn't lock out the Player X blackjack.

All is not lost though...
    At the Frontier, you can bet in increments of 50c, using the $1 and $2.50 chips. While I didn't intend to require that in the answer, I'll use it now to fix my mess.

You can actually bet as much as $94.50 and still lock out a Player X blackjack. Betting a little over $90 is better than exactly $90 for the following reason:
    If Player A gets all his money working (split and double for less), and Player B gets a blackjack, Player B has it covered without doubling. With a $90 blackjack, he just ties A's all-in win. So the best bet is $90.50 to $94.50.

No way am I coming up with that bet at the table! Kudos to 'YMe' for coming up with that answer in an identical scenario posed during a chat at Global between rounds on Sunday.

Joe, sorry about hijacking your thread. I intended to just respond to rookie's post, and then I got carried away. Then, when I mangled my own example, I felt it necessary to clean it up.

7. catch 27

catch 27 New Member

prize?

So Joep does Ken win the Prize? :1st:

8. Joep

Joep Active Member

Its easy at home with paper and pen

The reason I put down the Frontier is that you can bet in $1 increments over the min bet of $5 so a $91 bet is the perfect bet.It covers Player A getting all his money into action and reaching a total of 500.That is of course if Player B gets a blackjack.If not he can still double to beat player A total of 500.Yme did come up with that bet but I would guess paper and pen were in use .The original sitution was 500 vs 730 with a max bet of 200 .So 175 would be the bet that comes to mind first.Without paper and pencil,and 5 minutes of thinking.Frontier gives you 2 minutes.

9. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

bad bet

Ken,
    you said my bet would only win 70% of the time against BR2 and was not the optimum bet, if 70% odds for a win is not the best bet but a bad bet please explain, i'll take 70% all day long

10. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Poor SOB

I hope for everybodies sake they all miss this question. My picks have been the kiss of death...LOL!

Joep wouldn't $86 be the best bet for player B?

Player A has $250 + they bet $100 and have to DD another $100 = $450
    By betting $86 this will give Player B $451 (if both win).

And if Player A does get all of their $250 in play = $500, Player B can still DD if needed for the win.

Never mind I see my mistake, $91 covers Player A ($500 all money in) if Player B hits a BJ, ($501.50).

Yea your right, with the New Frontiers hour glass timer pouring sand down in front of you, I would have bet $100 I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  11. PhillyPhlash

PhillyPhlash New Member

2nd Place ?

On the original question, I'd've bet something betwee $90 and $110 under the pressure of the Frontier hour-glass.

Does the second-place winner of this challenge get two months of Rick Jensen's College Hoop Picks?

12. TXtourplayer

$100 max at NF

Damm, two month's of pick's I'd break you.

Nice to see I'm getting a fan club...LOL

13. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

you've always had one! i'm your #1 fan, daddy-o!

-hd.

14. TXtourplayer

Risky

Dave being a fan of mine (for sports picks) can not only be risky, but lately costly as well...LOL.

I think all my bets have gone south all a sudden.

I played with Kevin (GSN) B. at my table today for the Global-Player tournament. I busted out three times hitting 10's on two card 12's, and catching a 2 & 3 on DD's on 11 two other times. That was five of the 13 hands I got to play, I don't want to talk about the other 8 hands they were really bad...LOL.

Even Kevin told me my cards stunk!