My first post.

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by dycalhoun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. dycalhoun

dycalhoun New Member

I have a question. In most basic strategy charts, if your hand totals 11, they say DD on dealer 2-10, but to only hit on dealer Ace. Why? If ther dealer has and Ace but not a BJ, then he does not have 21, why not double against a dealer Ace.?

Dallas

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

The simple answer is that the math just says hitting is more profitable than doubling here.

This is a popular question though. I suppose it is because people think that you're somehow starting out "even" with the dealer, but you know he can't draw a face card on his ace to start out. Sounds reasonable, but that over-simplifies the question.

When you double, you get to hit only once. The dealer can take multiple hits to improve his hand.

It's still a close call though, and in games where the dealer hits soft 17, you SHOULD double 11 against an Ace. You should also do so in all 1-deck and 2-deck games, whether the dealer hits or stands on soft 17.

These kinds of questions get discussed much more frequently at the sister site:
    http://www.blackjackinfo.com