Never played a poker tournament before...

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Archie, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Archie

Archie New Member

but plan to play my first one live (Hold'em no limit) next month. What would be the best book for me for Hold'em. I'm not a neophyte, having played serious poker with sharks 30 years ago (five card stud), but I never played Hold'em. Watched it a lot on tv, though.

One book to prepare appropriately. The best. I know there's a zillion of them on the market.

Any suggestion?

2. AceDonovan

AceDonovan Member

Books

Doyle Brunson's Super System is considered the bible for poker players.

You also might want to check out our friend Blair Rodman's Kill Phil if you consider yourself a novice and plan on playing skilled players. (I saw you said you don't consider yourself a novice, but figure anyone else reading this might be interested)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  3. Archie

Archie New Member

Thanks Ace...

Just ordered my copy of Super system on eBay. Great. A bible is just what the doctor ordered!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  4. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

Archie, don't be misled by the TV events. Many, many hands are won with no flop at all. Most hands don't make it to the river card.

5. Archie

Archie New Member

Lessons learned from the past

What I remember most from my period of serious poker 30 years ago (five card stud, table limit) is this hard lesson I learned agains the sharks I was playing against :

1 - What matters most is what other people think you have in the hole, not what you really have.

2 - First one in usually wins the pot.

3 - If you let other people read you, they'll eat you alive.

6. WumpieJr

WumpieJr New Member

A note about Brunson's book:

It's rather weak on tournament play. It's *Definitely* worth the read for general understanding of how to win at holdem, but it's highly focused on ring games, where you can bust out and put more chips on the table. In a tournament that won't get you anywhere. Tournament play will involve a lot more defense of your chips early on. A 65/35 advantage in an all-in hand late in the game is great. However, in an early hand you would certainly fold against an all-in bet even if you had a 80/20 advantage. You just can't put all of your money out on any kind of chance early on. You have to make sure plays for small amounts of money or steal the pot when you're pretty sure you won't get a call *and* have outs in case you do.

It's actually not too different from TBJ. You always have to mind your ROR. Remember that you'll have to play many hands without losing a large (most of your BR) bet in order to win. However, you can't let the blinds eat you either. Just make low-risk plays early and step it up as the game goes on. The fewer hands remain, the more chances you can take. Especially if you get someone you can read and steal from. That's worth a lot in terms of keeping you alive.

7. Joep

Joep Active Member

quote=WumpieJr;25955]However, in an early hand you would certainly fold against an all-in bet even if you had a 80/20 advantage. You just can't put all of your money out on any kind of chance early on. [/quote]

Wumpie I have to respectfully disagree with you here.In a tournament your main goal, actually your only goal is to acquire all of the chips.If you can get your money in the pot with a 4 to 1 advantage you should do that every day and twice on Sundays no matter what time in the tournament that situation comes up.Now pre-flop you will never know if your are truly a 4-1 favorite but if I get re-raised all-in while holding pocket aces I'm calling even if its the first hand of a 10,000 entry fee tournament. I'm there to win everyones chips not just last long.

Joep

8. Rando21

Rando21 New Member

I would like to hear more suggestions about good tournament books .

Ive played a few live tournaments and lots of online tournaments .....

I dont think I have the patience to wait out the boring parts (most ) of this game....to get to the action....

Guys delay a decision every time either as a ploy or because they are just slow...its two cards...its 5 dollar anty....

Poker is like learning to fly ....slow boring repitition ...followed by brief moments of sheer terror!

TV is so edited as to barely resemble a real game....

So ....the best 5 poker books are???????

I dont want learn every poker game....just holdum for now...

Good luck Archie.....

I have played many BJ tournaments with you....I think you have the patience to be successful in this game....plus you like the numbers so understanding the percentages will come quickly for you...

I tend to agree with Joe on the % issue.... fire your bullets when the odds of doing the most damage comes along....you may be gone but you may also increase your bullets and breathing room by a great deal....

Anytime Ive cashed its been a combo of hit and run hit and run...show a bluff then play tight...

Still not enough action to keep me interested for hour after hour of the same game....lol

Poker is boreing!!!! ;-)

9. BJFAN4

BJFAN4 New Member

No limit tournaments

I strongly recommend Harrington's vol 1, 2, 3. The books are full of practical examples that help grasps the game of tournament poker.

10. WumpieJr

WumpieJr New Member

I see your point, though pocket aces is an extreme example. I would certainly call all-in with those. But A-Q I would almost certainly fold against an all-in bet early on in a tournament. Even A-K would require deliberation. Any pair beats you and even two low cards have a decent chance to suck out. I'd *much* rather see a flop early on than go all in.

Even with aces, your chances are still only 80/20 against any pair, better against other hands. But I really wouldn't accept much lower than that early on. I'd rather wait a few hands than leave the tournament.

I understand that you have to take everyone's money, but specifically early on in a tournament you can't send your RoR through the roof. You need to win by stealing or playing after the flop or you're more likely than not to be sent packing, often with a bad beat.