Not a too uncommon situation

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by BlueLight, Jun 14, 2008.

1. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

For this teaser most will probably figure it out since there is plenty of time to think about it. However if it ever comes up in a BJ tournament you will know instantly (after solving this teaser) what to do.

It's the last hand you are BR2 with 5000 in chips. BR1 has 5100 but has to act and bet first. He chooses the theoretical bet of his lead minus a chip and bets 75. You bet 1000 to cover a max split of up to 4 double down hands by BR1. BR1 is delt 10 + 7. You are delt 8 + 8. The dealer has a 5 showing.
    BR1 stands (doesn't matter what he does). You split your 8's and get a 3 on the first 8 and double down and get a 9 for a total of 20. On the second 8 you get another 8. Now what do you do? The situation is summarized in the table below.

Player.........BkRoll............Bet.................Cards.................Action

BR1.............5100............100.................10 + 7................Stood

BR2(a).........5000.......1000+1000.............8 + 3 + 9............Doubled Down

BR2(b)..........................1000..................8 + 8.................????????

Dealer......................................................5

....................................BlueLight

2. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

Good one bluelight,
    I know what I would do, but let's see what others are thinking......
    This will come up at some point.

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Looks like an example of a free hit

Hit hand b to 21, in case of a dealer 20.

4. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

When are you coming to the States?

London, you really need to be over here playing tournaments often my friend.

5. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

One day, I hope.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rick. I do hope to come over at some point. It would be interesting to try to use the events calendar to plan a combined tournaments-and-tourism trip, taking in as many tournaments as possible while seeing the sights at the same time, and avoiding too much criss-crossing of the country. A variation of the well-known 'travelling salesman problem'. :)

In the mean time, unless I can negotiate a special 'London Colin gets to take as long as he wants over every decision' rule, I think I still have a lot of work to do to prepare for such an odyssey!