Not As Simple As You Might Think

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Monkeysystem, May 29, 2009.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Here's the situation that came up for me tonight:

Last hand. One advance. Bet range 5-200 in increments of 5. No surrender. BJ's pay 3:2. Only two players left. I am first to act.

=> Me, bankroll 277.50, bet ?
    Nice Lady, bankroll 162.50

Nice Lady is not a reckless, aggressive bettor. The starting bankroll was 500; the dealer was so hot he was sizzlin' the whole round. I think Nice Lady is likely to go all in, but she had played for full swings a couple times in the hands leading up to this hand.

This is a good example of a situation in which you can systematically think your way to the best bet you can come up with. Come up with a range of bets that would maximize my chances of advancing and explain your logic.

2. TheLegend

TheLegend Member

my best bet.....

well its been awhile since i have done any bet calculation but here is what I would do to get the best bet.......and please correct me if I am wrong but the only bet.........

calculate her payoff for a blackjack all in........and determine the amount needed to beat that amount by $5........divide that amount in half.......that is your bet.....

if you lose and she pushes....you win

if you lose and she loses.......you win

if you win and she doubles up you win......

if she blackjacks you double or split and pray........

now it is 3 am in the morning ......and i did this in my head and no calculator.......correct me if I am wrong.......

This is assuming game is dealt face up and you see the snapper......

3. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Best Bet

I believe "The Legend" is right on. My instinctive bet without thinking would have been 110.

However, assuming you are dealt a pair and can resplit to play 4 hands and the first hit card creates 13-17 which you will stand on. If you bet low enough, you would have the money to split for 3/4 hands and still have a 2 net win assuming dealer did not bust.

Using his calculation your bet would be 65.

Larry

4. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Best Bet

OOPS. I just noticed I put 13-17, I meant 12-17. I was thinking of a pair of Aces (where you can only take one card) when I was typing. But in any event. As long as you have the opportunity to get 3/4 bets on the table you can afford to push one hand on a 3 bet or lose one on a 4 bet.

Larry

5. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

A bet in this range

Assuming the lady does go "ALL IN" she'll have bet $175 (leaving her $2.50), should she hit a blackjack that would pay her $240 + her original $177.50 = $402.50 ($125 more then you have).

Both Legend and Hopping Larry are correct, by betting any bet between the range of $65 to $110 will allow you to cover the ladies blackjack by DD and still give you a push / loss cover for the win.

Your in great shape here, the main thing is NOT to give away your low to try and cover her possible blackjack, so the $110 would be my max. bet here.

Hopefully you were not swung on the hand, which with one of the bets mentioned above would be the only way for you to lose.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Tx has a couple of typos in his hand, though his result numbers look correct. I think he means she could bet up to $160 of her original $162.50.

It's worth looking here at what a blackjack for you can do. Bet at least $85, but not more than $110. Your blackjack now beats her blackjack without you having to double down.

7. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

My bad!

My bad, guess my eye sight is still bad...lol super imposed the figures from monkeysystems and the lady's hands.

Monkey had $277.50 she had $162.50 and I post her as having 177.50 sorry.

Also great point Ken, I missed the possible blackjack for us so the $85 minimum bet is excellent catch. I was so wrapped up on cover her possible BJ that I completely forgot about the possibility of catching one myself and factoring that in.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  8. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I'm shoving the $110 out there. With the limited time allowed for calculations while at a BJT table, I could see no extra downside to betting that amount v. betting Ken's $85 minimum.

This means I agree with Ken (a good thing!), and also with Tx (a scary thing!!!).......

9. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Best bet

One more thought. 85 seems to be better than 65 since a BJ is more likely than a multiple split and 85 allows up to 3 bets. But 90 is equlvalent to 85 and better than 95-110. 95-110 doesn't allow a triple split for 3 Aces. Admitedly these are very small percentage differences, but it would seem that 85-90 might be the best bet range.

Larry

10. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Best Play

Actually, I believe I may want to put a wrinkle in my last comment. With a pair of Aces, you would want to split. If you get an Ace on the first one, I believe you would want to split again, otherwise you are standing on 12 and dealer has to bust for you to win. If you get a winning hand on the first one (a face card, etc.), what do you do with the 2nd Ace if you get an Ace on it? You only need to win one bet. So is it better to just hit as much as you can without busting or split it?

Larry

11. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

The only reason you'd want to split/DD a bet of 85-110 is if Nice Lady got an All-In blackjack. Your single win of a bet at that level is enough to beat her non-BJ'ed All-In bet.
    Why would you stand on a soft 12? :D
    Hit that soft 12 but don't bust it. If Nice Lady didn't get BJ, then you shouldn't be playing a second hand anyway!

12. KenSmith

Let me clarify for hopinglarry:

You have bet the $85, but Nice Lady does get a blackjack. Now you need to win two bets. You split Aces.

Hand One: Ace-Ten
    Hand Two: Ace-Ace

His question is do you resplit the Aces, or just hit the second hand out? Which is the best way to win at least 2 bets?

However, there is a problem with hopinglarry's question. When splitting aces you aren't allowed to hit the hand out. Remember, it's one card only on split Aces. If you are allowed to resplit, you definitely should do so because you might end up with three strong hands instead of solely relying on the dealer to bust.

Now, if you were somehow allowed to hit multiple times on the pair of Aces, larry's question remains.

13. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I knew, I just KNEW, that there was something really stupid in my response! :eek: :laugh:

14. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

Best Play

Leftnut, don't feel alone. As soon as I saw Ken's response I felt pretty stupid for asking the question.

By the way, even after this discussion, my old brain is likely to forget it and I will be shoving the $110 out there.

I only know of one tournament where you can hit an Ace after a split and that is the Horseshoe in Bossier City. They have a little quirk where you can either stand or DD on split Aces after you get your card.

Larry

15. KenSmith

Heh, don't feel bad. I remember spending a lot of effort to work out some details on a similar question before I remembered the one card on split aces rule. It's such a special case it is easy to forget.

On a similar note, I get a lot of questions from people who are developing their own blackjack simulation software and wondering why their answers aren't matching widely published numbers. More often than not, they have forgotten one of the two oddities about splitting Aces: 1) You get only one card on each. 2) Ace-Ten is no longer a blackjack.

16. KenSmith

To backtrack a few posts, I wanted to respond to this one. Larry is right. The best bet appears to me to be either 85 or 90. In the very slight possible chance of Nice Lady getting a blackjack and Monkey needing to win 2 bets, there are certainly occasions where splitting to make three hands improves your chances of winning at least 2 bets.

The most obvious one is this:
    Consider if the dealer has a small card showing, and you are dealt a pair of 8s. You make a 21 on the first hand. If you now get another 8 on your second hand, you are obviously better off splitting again than standing on the 16. You might make two more non-stiff hands.

17. Monkeysystem

Another Consideration

I didn't really emphasize the following idea too strongly in my original post: The thought burning through my mind when I was considering my bet was that Nice Lady had made bets once or twice in the late hands that seemed to be attempts to get full swings. I believe I read this player right - she considered doing it on the final hand. After I placed my bet she paused, starting counting out a smallish swing bet, paused again, thought better of it, and shoved all in.

All the ideas mentioned in this thread occurred to me when I was considering my bet except for Ken's point that I'd want to bet big enough to cover a BJ with my own BJ. That point is even more important at Ho Chunk because they don't allow you to double on BJ's or totals of 21 in splits. But this idea didn't come to me until I was in the car on my way home.

I'll let you know exactly how things turned out, but I'll let you guys and others make more comments first.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  18. KenSmith

I picked up on that idea from your initial post, but I didn't see a way that it could reasonably impact my bet size decision. I look forward to your thoughts on the matter. And, thanks for starting the thread!

19. Monkeysystem

How It Went Down

What I bet was 75. My first impulse was to bet my whole lead minus a chip, which would be 110. But my gut told me Nice Lady may very well make a small bet that can only full-swing me if I make a smaller bet. That would be a mistake for her that would increase my chances.

So I figured the smallest bet I could make that would allow me to double it to cover her all in BJ as well as cover her simple all in. That was 65. I started counting out a bet of 65 but decided that since I was trying to induce her to make a conservative mistake I'd better not put a rainbow out in my betting circle. It's been my experience that rainbows can befuddle casual players and can trigger them to shove. So I settled on a bet of 75 - three green chips.

As I stated in the previous post she hesitated, started counting out her smallish bet, then thought better of it and shoved.

I got 11, she got hard 16, dealer showed 2. I hit, got a five and waved off. She thought about it for a few seconds, then waved off to guarantee me a seat at the final table. The dealer made a hand - not that it mattered.

For me, a bet of 90 would've been better. It was probably still small enough to induce the mistake I was hoping for, while covering Nice Lady's BJ with my own BJ. But, as I stated earlier in this thread, covering the BJ-BJ didn't occur to me until I was in the car driving home.

I've been considering ways to improve your results against weaker players. The most important is anticipating how a weaker player will respond to your bet when you must act first on the last hand. You can estimate the possibility of an opponent's suboptimal response to your bet then treat this fraction as a probability in an EV calculation. You can modify your bet decision to maximize your EV given this additional factor.

I've never figured this particular scenario before, in which you trade off the BJ-BJ in exchange for the added benefits obtained from the possibility of inducing a tight opponent to bet too small. This isn't a complete analysis, because it doesn't take other factors into consideration such as different combinations of players' and dealer's BJ. It's meant to be an example of the kind of analysis you could use to factor in weaker opponents' suboptimal play.

The probability of both you and your opponent getting BJ is ~1/440. So for you to benefit from trading that off the increased chance of advancing times the possibility of the opponent making this mistake must be greater than 1/440. If I bet 110 and Nice Lady shoves, my probability of advancing is ~86%. If I bet 75 and Nice Lady bets, say, 75 my probability of advancing is ~88%.

Let M = the possibility of Nice Lady making a Mistake and betting too small. Then for me to benefit from this smaller bet M(88% - 86%) > 1/440. M = ~1/9. In other words, this was a profitable decision for me if the possibility of Nice Lady making the small bet mistake were >1/9.

9:1 is a small chance. It seemed more likely than that she would make this mistake.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't sit there at the blackjack table at Ho Chunk doing these mental EV calculations. :eek: I'm doing all this after the fact.

Just because an opponent didn't actually do what you were hoping for doesn't necessarily mean you misread that player. You can't predict the actions of another human being with 100% accuracy. All you can do is estimate the possibility of an action they'll take. In many cases you're estimating the chances of behavior that will happen less than half the time, then modifying your own actions based on that estimate.

An example of this concept I've written about in the past is the situation in which you're acting first, heads up, with a small lead against an aggressive opponent. Against a strong opponent you'd bet small. But against an uninformed aggressive player you'd bet the max. The max bet gives you better EV if the possibility of the opponent matching your max bet is >1/3.

20. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

weighing chances

That’s exactly right Monkeysystem! Assigning specific numbers (chances/possibilities) for particular plays and bets by your opponents may seem weird and difficult at first but practice of “profiling” makes it much better with time. This is where psychology and math meet to produce optimal results.

S. Yama